A Lintel problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.. I think.
Scaffolding is up to have the roof felt and tiles replaced so a chance for a good look over those areas not normally easy to reach. That's when I had a good look at this lintel.
At one point, during a storm, we had water come through the inner wall either side of this lintel, cavity wall insulation was put in during prev owners time. I could see the brickwork had been repointed and they'd not left any weep holes for the cavity tray to drain above this lintel. I don't know if it's possible but maybe that means the lintel has been left soaking and the steel inside has corroded or what.
Any way the lintel is cracked on the face and when I look in at the end of it I can see it's cracked on the end... I removed the mortar from the end.. well it kinda fell out really.
Hopefully I've managed to include some images of the thing. I suspect it's bad enough to need replacing but I'd be interested to hear whether these things can be repaired in situ.
I have asked a brickie/ builder to have a look but he's taking a while to get here and I'd like to have some idea beforehand.

If I can drive this thing properly there should be some images below that explain things better than I can..
Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back