A little advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just had a builder/plasterer in to put new plasterboard up on my ceiling and plaster over. Now he had a bit of trouble with it and had to rush around a lot as it was such a large area (28 by 15 foot). Also it was a pretty dark room without much light.

Overall the job seems fine but there are some trowel marks and small blemish holes here and there. Now there are a couple of places which do not look good at all when you hold a light to them and I am happy to just sand these bits down.

What I want to know is after 3-4 coats of decent paint (the 1st coat watered down apparently), will the smaller ridges and blemish holes be covered or do I need to sand down everything that is not perfectly smooth? I don't want to sand everywhere when I don't need to.

I know some may say get him in to redo it but I would rather not go down the road of upsetting the builder if its not necessary as he is cheap and helped me out a lot in other things.

So please what do you lot advise?

Sponsored Links
Roller a wash-coat on it then have another look at it. You will see all the marks ,scabs, and scars, then you will know where you've got to fill and sand, and really filling and sanding is the only way to make it look decent again without over skimming it....One thing about a ceiling the light shines down from it and sometimes a lot of things are not noticable as you look up,so it might of looked a lot worse if you shone the light up at it to see what it looked like. This might be a little concellation, but you will have to decide yourself......

Thanks Roy for your advice. I see what you mean about the lights shining down. To be honest in daylight it seems pretty much ok anyway. As I said before there are a couple of bad patches but these should be easily sanded smooth. Any indentations are about 1-2mm deep so once painted im sure it wont notice.

I know this was not going to be the best job as hes a builder and was doing it on his own. Also with the lack of light, it looked perfect when he left. He is coming back to other bits and pieces so he may even do something about it himself.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I`ve had good success with "red devil One Time ready mixed filler" from a trade paint supplier..Got a whole room-here @ home- back from the dead .Just couldn`t face having the walls skimmed , even tho` my boy is a plasterer :LOL: . Had time on my side and it filled hundreds of imperfections ..best filler I`ve used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back