little things that just really pee you off!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive been skimming some large walls today and started off good put second coat on and started troweling it down and the second coat was dragging its a pain in the ass because theres not a lot you can do with it i know its because the plaster had set to much for it to be troweled down but flicking water on it makes no difference the plaster is at a stage where its past troweling but not ready for water. but the plaster doesnt seem to firm up enough for you to wet trowel it and even when you have finished and come to cross trowelling it the plaster still drags really gets on my wick lol only seems to happen every now again even when you give the wall about 5 coats of pva glue anyway rant over!!!!

Sponsored Links
ive been skimming some large walls today and started off good put second coat on and started troweling it down and the second coat was dragging its a pain in the ass because theres not a lot you can do with it i know its because the plaster had set to much for it to be troweled down but flicking water on it makes no difference the plaster is at a stage where its past troweling but not ready for water. but the plaster doesnt seem to firm up enough for you to wet trowel it and even when you have finished and come to cross trowelling it the plaster still drags really gets on my wick lol only seems to happen every now again even when you give the wall about 5 coats of pva glue anyway rant over!!!!

Awwww Tommy,,,,,, my heart bleeds for ya mucca,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
could just be too much pva mate. when you put plaster on pva the pva livens back up under the plaster due to the moisture content of the plaster. if you have put too much pva on, wen your trying to flatten or trowel, the plaster will slide with the trowel along the wall as you go thus causeing the drag. wat was the surface you was plastering onto and how many coats of glue did you give it

he said 5 coats :eek: think you've hit the nail on the head jr!

gotta have some suction! trick is getting it to the right level.

nar it wasnt sliding on the back ground it was the top coat dragging on the under coat the pva was sucking straight into the wall thats why i give it so many coats just to get the back ground tacky the 1st coat went off fast and thats why the second was dragging

Did it get a coat the day before ? Lack of suction isn't a problem, the stuff will set

ok i know what you mean now ive had it happen to me i found that if i catch the second coat earlier like flatten it earlier, then let it pick up and with a wet trowel cross trowel it all to get out any imperfections and lines you have left and that should sort it hope it helps fella
JRP

it only really happens when the 1st coat goes off like a rocket but i find once you have managed to close the second coat in then you can trowel it ok but its just being able to close the second coat first with out it dragging i know how to solve the problem trowel my second coat earlier but not always that straight forward when uve got a big gauge on lol

happened to me a couple of times, i now alway chuck a good handful of either hardwall or sharp sand in with my pva, seems to work for me everytime, sometime lose any key when you pva well. this makes it like a pva rendered wall ish

When your plaster has gone off that means the chemical reaction that sets it has been spent. You are putting rubbish on your wall. Why are you doing that? You should be chucking it away and mixing some fresh stuff.

If ive got a background that has silk paint or a latex waterproof based paint then i do that gives a it a good key cus ive had the plaster come off in big sheets when its come to painting it because there was no key on them kind of paints lol live and learn !! joe not sure who your asking the question to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back