Tips for complete novice

[q
uote="roughcaster";p="939049"]If you can't make good a scar/blemish with multi finish one hour into it's life Joe, that's your problem, I can, others would probably agree i'm sure. You certainly can't spread with it, but it is far from set (solid) overall. Setting time for multi finish, one and a half hours,,, approx,

Again "Joan Intie", read the feckin post properly. I said that you cant spread with one hour old multi finish, but it is NOT set,,,,,, and if thin fibre glass mesh tape is stronger than jute scrim, why do they reinforce plaster mouldings and cornices with jute scrim? fool..... :rolleyes: You make all these comments about other people on this site people, whom you don't know,with nothing to back up your claims, except twisting words and phrases to make it suit what you want to believe, a total a**e hole........ Let's go again Trigger, giddy up.

Roughcaster.

Fibre glass scrim is far tougher than jute, but I guess you've seen neither never mind worked with the stuff. The reason they use jute is that it is floppy and bends easily (bit like you according to your missus) but it isn't anywhere near as strong. You ask Noseall.

Sponsored Links
I agree with everything roughcaster said, the plaster he was referring to that you could trowel up the next day was what we used to call "Ciraphite" you laid it on and could bring up the scum with a wooden or plastic float and polish it up. If you left it a bit too long you could throw water on it and it would "come back " and you could trowel it up again. This plaster used to contain a lot of cellulose, and I have heard stories of women eating this as a dietry aid!!!! Anyone back me up???

What's that got to do with patching multi-finish when you've got your trowel stuck? :rolleyes:

Just proving a point that rc knows what he is talking about and letting others know something that I thought was an interesting post. As for you and your comments and what others are saying about you I am not getting drawn into any of that I've not been on here long enough to pass an opinion but in time I will!!!!

Sponsored Links
I've used siraphite B which in my opinion was like today's modern board finish but the plasterer I learnt with told me that
the siraphite they used to use they would knock it up in a bucket then let it stand for a while then knock it up again and use it
to lay on a whole house, next day they would come back and trowel it up.

it was me who first talked about a trowel sticking.

rough was right when he mentioned a trowel getting stuck at full stretch.

it occurs when a plasterer is trying to do, say, a ceiling at full stretch and is wanting to swipe to the middle - hence no middle overlap.

it is when he changes direction that the blade can flatten against the WET plaster and stick like two sheets of wet glass.

i wish i was half as skilled as roughcaster at plastering.

Quote...(marshman)
I've used siraphite B which in my opinion was like today's modern board finish

I think when they changed the colour to grey from the original pink ciraphite, they called it ciraphite B but it hadn't got the "properties of the old stuff, and you are right it was like todays modern board finish. Most of the bag stuff we get over here is now all pink, I don't know whether you still get grey in England? "Oh for the old tin baths and the bicycle clanger plunger :LOL: "

still use the stick and bike crank plunger, you gotta keep the lad fit :evil:
and you know where they are when they're done mixing,
they're leaning on the wall catching their breath. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back