The 6 stages of plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a good handle now on skimming a wall, however i am still uncertain about the times / touch of the plaster during each stage:-

Stage 1 - 1st cost (flatten out with trowel when wall completely covered)
Stage 2 - 2nd coat ( apply when first cost is starting to set up, feels like damp sand)
Stage 3 - Dry trowel (How should the plaster feel before this stage?)
Stage 4 - Wet Trowel (How should the plaster feel before this stage?)
Stage 5 - Wet trowel (How should the plaster feel before this stage?)
Stage 6 - Dry trowel (How should the plaster feel before this stage?)

Any advice would be great, cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
3. after you've cleaned up your mixing kit. but wet your trowel with your water brush.
3 again. but wet your trowel with your water brush.
4. is starting to set up, feels like damp sand) as 3 but flick a little water on the wall only if your trowel drags.
6. only if needed. when the plaster is very firm.

for me it goes like this:

apply first coat then flatten when firmish and tidy up the margins (the firm bits round the edges that can drag into the finish)

apply second coat then flatten, more or less repeating above apart from the dry edges will be a bit more controllable.

wet trowel the wall. (not too much water)

dry trowel the wall. (don't over polish).

Sponsored Links
you should only dry trowel when a firmly applied trowel does not mark or alter the surface.

dry trowelling is an additional or supplementary process that gets rid of wet trowel marks. it can be sidestepped if you are particularly neat or when board finishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back