Patching holes in ceiling...job finished??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the plasters sorting out holes in ceiling where the electrician has had to cut hatches out as couldn't locate wires
(Long story!!).
The plasterer has said no problem and will patch them I'm and will never know they were there, this is how they look now completed View media item 65345
Do they look finished and ok to just paint over? He mentioned may need light sanding and mist coating? Should I be doing this as would have thought his job in terms of any sanding down required etc? [/list]

Sponsored Links
Do they look finished and ok to just paint over? He mentioned may need light sanding and mist coating? Should I be doing this as would have thought his job in terms of any sanding down required etc?

I assume you mean with the plastered square rather than the round hole still left. In that case I would say yes, the patch looks finished to me.
I would have said it's not his job to sand a little and decorate.

If when you do put the mist coat on the patch is very noticeable, then get him back. It could be touched up with a bit of Easifill.
I think realistically if you look close you may probably notice slightly and this is unavoidable. Unless the whole ceiling is re-skimmed it is very hard to make perfect. So be fair with your plasterer! The end of the day it was the electrician that needed the holes cutting!

Thanks, although the situation was that the plasterer boarded and skimmed all the ceilings thinking the electrian knew where the wires were, miscommunication between the both of them and now I'm left with hatches in 3 rooms and want to make sure they will not be noticeable. With regards to sanding down etc...well I would have thought that would be for him to do and me just to paint and see the final result of the work. Gutted we have the patches to start with and now just hoping the are not left at all visible.

From what you can see pictured am I best to just mist over now and then see how it looks before sanding back down etc? And what paper
etc for sanding to be used? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
im not sure why the sparky had to cut a hole that big to locate the wires, all the same the patch seems ok but looks like he dident clean round the edges there are splashes of plaster and plaster where there shouldn't be, a nice wipe round the edges with a damp sponge or wet brush would have sorted it, looks messy not a clean job at all

From what I'm left with, what can be done to sort it out?

From what I'm left with, what can be done to sort it out?
I would go round the edges with fine grit paper and clean up with a wet brush or sponge as there are smears of plaster all round the hole then mist coat it and see how good it looks and take it from there if it don't look good use some joint cement or easifill

A skim over with readymix will sort that out no problem. Sand down with a fine 150 grit paper when it's dried out. Not a very well done job though,, dirty as Steve said. Did he put tape over the joins in the patch?

I'm not sure, will check when I'm back there tomorrow as not living in house at present whilst work is ongoing. With regards to the ready mix is this just applied over ther area and blended in or does it go over the whole ceiling? Just want to be clear on what I say to him to get the job done right. Th aks for input, appreciated

View media item 65362Also noticed at the side of hatch a bit of plaster had come off revealing the plasterboard screw, this has happened on a couple of other walls in the house also, do I ask him just to fill these or a little ready mix for these also?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back