Trowel marks

M

marsaday

I have a normal steel trowel for plastering (£7 approx), so not a posh marshaltown etc.

I noticed the trowel is leaving one fine line when i go on an upwards sweep, but nothing if used the other way.

I could not see any grit on the trowel so assume there is a blemish in the metal.

Can i sort this problem out ? Do you use sand paper to rub the trowel down to get rid of any contanimation.

Sponsored Links
A Marshaltown trowel is not a posh trowel!! It's a very expensive trowel, and it's probably the name you're paying for. In the forty odd years i've been plastering, i've never owned one. It's always been a "Tyzack" for me, :cool: plus i also have a Ragni,,, everyone has their own preference. The thing to remember in plastering is, it's the ability of the plasterer himself. You can own/use the most expensive trowel in the world, but if you're not a good plasterer, it'll never give you a good finish.
Anyway,, sorry for rambling on a bit Marsy,, if you're planning to be a plasterer, do as Roy says and get a better quality trowel, £15, £20 upwards, rather than the cheaper £7 quid ones. Check the trowel before you buy it too,,,,,, look along it for straightness, and across the toe and heel,,, check along the edges, (carefully) for any bad nicks etc,, make sure the handle is secure. Enjoy the trade. ;)

Sponsored Links
Can i sort this problem out ? Do you use sand paper to rub the trowel down to get rid of any contanimation.

I think an emery cloth or oil stone is a recommended way of tidying them up

You're right Newbee.
Sometimes, you can hardly feel/see these little nicks on the trowel edge,, but the line they leave in the plaster is very noticeable. The finely honed edge of a trowel is very delicate, and it doesn't take much to damage it.

Thanks for info.

I am doing my own attic, so this is not for a living.

I will try and rub it down a little and see how that gets on.

I dont do it for a living either, well, not normally, although if your doing a job you need good tools, especially as in comparison a trowel is quite cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back