Plastic trowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads I maybe making some of those plastic trowels again I got a supplier whose selling me 50 blades just got to do a deal on the handles so if you need another or need a replacement blade for your old trowel let me know, for those that have not used them before they can be used in conjunction with the steel trowel or the refina plazi for the final finish if your in a rush this trowel let's you put a finish on the plaster way before its set or changed colour saving you about half hour to 40 mins depending on the conditions

Sponsored Links
Now I've heard good things about them, but haven't seen any yet. What's the size of them, and the price Steve

I've uploaded pics of them on my profile for you Doggit they are 14 inches I'm expecting them to be around £ 20 also I will give you aftercare such as how to use them and spare blades ,so far there's 5 spreads from here that's used them that can vouch how good they are cheers

I cant see a pic of your trowel mate,use a Refina which is brilliant but a few years old.and the blade needs changing dont mind trying yours can you post up a pic please

Sponsored Links
i'm a fan of the plastic trowel for finishing, just DO NOT USE IT FOR FLATTENING SECOND COAT lol

i'm a fan of the plastic trowel for finishing, just DO NOT USE IT FOR FLATTENING SECOND COAT lol
the refina is good for flattening in and finishing but the one i have is a much softer trowel it also leaves a better finish than the refina but you dont flatten in with it you use it at the final stages of troweling, you can also give the final coat while still not set ive just checked it seems that the pics of the trowels are not in the album i will add pics over the weekend, just as a note flattening in the first or second coat with the refina also saves a lot of time as you can flatten in while the skim is still wet also it allows you to do so because it do not bring the water to the surface like the steel do my trowels was in use before the refina come out i lay on with steel and that is all, the rest is done with plastic

the plazi was pretty good although since I got a superflex I have never looked back.
I was only mentioning about the plastic for flattening as I used it for a while to whip straight over the second coat straight after I laid on with a SS. At the time it looked immense and I was thinking I unlocked the greatest shortcut... until it dried and light hit it!! back to speedskim or stainless for flattening lol

after it is flat ,plastic all the way!

the plazi was pretty good although since I got a superflex I have never looked back.
I was only mentioning about the plastic for flattening as I used it for a while to whip straight over the second coat straight after I laid on with a SS. At the time it looked immense and I was thinking I unlocked the greatest shortcut... until it dried and light hit it!! back to speedskim or stainless for flattening lol

after it is flat ,plastic all the way!
plazi is better than steel for flattening also i can get a good finish with it , i used a technique where once laid on with the steel i would cross trowel the wall or ceiling with the plazi without trowing up or down and save even more time and blemish free you would be hard pressed to do that with a steel but i admit its not everyones cup of tea i recentley got a plazi off another spread he couldent get on with it so i swapped an old spat for it a right bargain it was lol

plazi is better than steel for flattening also i can get a good finish with it , i used a technique where once laid on with the steel i would cross trowel the wall or ceiling with the plazi without trowing up or down and save even more time and blemish free you would be hard pressed to do that with a steel but i admit its not everyones cup of tea i recentley got a plazi off another spread he couldent get on with it so i swapped an old spat for it a right bargain it was lol
is that just over board though mate? amount of sketchy work ive seen when a plazi has been used to flatten over artex or uneven backgrounds.
And spot on if you found a way that's quicker for you and also less wear and tear on yourself lol

is that just over board though mate? amount of sketchy work ive seen when a plazi has been used to flatten over artex or uneven backgrounds.
And spot on if you found a way that's quicker for you and also less wear and tear on yourself lol
Yes overboard I worked for a partition company skimming their boards for 5-6 years was using steel and my plastic until the plazi come out now I use both,"or did I'm more or less retired now through bad health" I started cross trowelling to flatten with the plazi when I had curved work to do and was suprised at how good it was so kept on doing it even on flat work, I wouldn't use the plazi to flatten over artex until the second coat more often than not I would use a bonding agent and that would rip the plazi to shreds

I cant see a pic of your trowel mate,use a Refina which is brilliant but a few years old.and the blade needs changing dont mind trying yours can you post up a pic please
Should be a pic there now
There should be a pic now but if u have a Refina I suggest you get a new blade for that also use it in conjunction with mine but I'm having trouble with handle suppliers at the moment I may change to wood handle if I can't get the
pic should be there but having trouble with handle suppliers at the mo

Interesting reading this guys I’ve also just got a plaziflex after 15 years of skimming with my Marshall town, after reading what Tom wrote above I’ve got a feeling I’ve just made that exact mistake ie using the plazi to flatten second coat when I should have gone over it with the marshal first. Felt lovely and thought what a finish, but today can feel the odd but that could be a bit bumpy, nonetheless love the plazi and once I get used to the timing I reckon I’ll never be without it

Interesting reading this guys I’ve also just got a plaziflex after 15 years of skimming with my Marshall town, after reading what Tom wrote above I’ve got a feeling I’ve just made that exact mistake ie using the plazi to flatten second coat when I should have gone over it with the marshal first. Felt lovely and thought what a finish, but today can feel the odd but that could be a bit bumpy, nonetheless love the plazi and once I get used to the timing I reckon I’ll never be without it
All depends what background your skimming on if it's board you can lay on with steel and from then on its plastic the plazi is brilliant at flattening in but I use the old Barton trowel for the final trowel as it leaves a better finish I was using that way before the plazi come out before that it was lay on with steel then flatten with steel then onto the Barton but that plazi just makes flattening in so easy

Cheers Steve
Got a reskim coming up,plan to only use the plazi after flattening 2nd coat when I’d normally wet trowel
Cheers
John

Well i was messed about by Indians from India trying to get the plasic handles so I decided to make my own done them in wood for the traditional wood feel I've used zinc alloy threaded inserts and stainless steel bolts I've done several versions of the handles progressing to what I felt was comforatable I started off with the profile of original handle and refined it I also have blades the same size as the 14 in Mt if you want a thinner version also a smaller foot long for tight spots above doors tinkering with the idea of putting them on ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back