plastic trowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any else use the plastic trowels for skim? i find them good for patching as well, i use this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastering-pl...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20b6782f62 but have come across another where he tells you how to use it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastic-plast...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item41563ab8dd ive had mine for over a year now and was unsure when the correct time to use it was until i came across a scouse spread who was on the same site as me who had been using them for years showed me when, (when its about 40%set) you only want to give the wall or ceiling one trowel with it or you will over polish the wall i find just giving it the one trowel is enough to leave a nice finish i also find it good to sharpen up internal corners View media item 30597

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
alright steve just bought one on ebay if it gets here on time ive got a nice 150m2 to try it out on this weekend we shall c what happens eh?

alright steve just bought one on ebay if it gets here on time ive got a nice 150m2 to try it out on this weekend we shall c what happens eh?
what one did you by jr? the same one i got? just a couple of tips for you take care not to mark the blade as they easily get marks on, the slightest mark on the blade will scar your work so keep it seperate from the the rest of your trowels if you do get any you can rub them out, i was told to use it at 40% set but you can get away with using it earlier, also press more firmly than you would with a normal trowel but not to hard because if its the same as mine the blade will pop off the screws and have to be refixed, you will be amazed at the finish on just using it once which is all thats needed.

yeah i orderd the same one you use mate im quite intreaged as to how its goin to pan out and what sort of finish im goin to get off of it.
if it does get a mark how do i got about getting it out im guessing i cnt really use sand paper as that will scratch alot of the blade

Sponsored Links
yeah i orderd the same one you use mate im quite intreaged as to how its goin to pan out and what sort of finish im goin to get off of it.
if it does get a mark how do i got about getting it out im guessing i cnt really use sand paper as that will scratch alot of the blade
i used fine grade sand paper this left it a bit rough and i know this sounds funny but i then used an oilstone on the edge to get it smooth again i also ordered a spare blade off of them for a fiver thats still in my shed unused

if this trowel works out good then i think ill be investing in the refina version.
TM this weekends work will be a doddle mate its all flat surfaces no lights or switches or sockets only 2 windows and one door, the windows dont even have reveals haha ;) loveing the game. oh and its all plasterboard so very very little prep

iv got two in the bag use it on prebaged render nice finish
dont mine it on skim.
dus help speed things up
iv seen spreads use a fire essape sign
screwed on a handel same principal

hows the nipper plstrng and the misses for that matter??
my towel turned up today but the misses was at the hospital so i havent picked it up yet i think thier goin to deliver it again at 7 tonight so here we go eh?

all going well m8 the baby is a podg
lol
im trying to set a date too wet the babys head any one
got a good date in mind

im afreaid ive got to stay at home or thereabouts for at least the next 5 weeks mate when she got back from the hospital yesterday thay told her the baby could come any point from now, its not even due till march but thats what the hospital said.

What sort of plastic are these trowels made of? Is it perspex, or pvc? And what angle do you go at a wall with them? Only I've got a load of both @3mmish hanging around and at £25 for a pair of trowels I'm thinking I could probably knock up one of my own with an old polyfloat handle.

What sort of plastic are these trowels made of? Is it perspex, or pvc? And what angle do you go at a wall with them? Only I've got a load of both @3mmish hanging around and at £25 for a pair of trowels I'm thinking I could probably knock up one of my own with an old polyfloat handle.
the ones we have are like 3mm of nylon, i think anyway im no plastic expert, but yes people started off with home made ones and the commerial ones are still in the early stages, i have seen what looked like a pvc home made one out of a sign like plstering said, but you can only give it a go, let us know how you get on

I might just do that! Pvc would be easier to work I think, perspex is more likely to shatter when cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back