Looking after trowel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an average price trowel and have used it again after over a year in the garage. I don't do plastering that often.

Anyway i have just plastered out my garden shed/office and all is fine, but the trowel is leaving slight lines when i use one side of the trowel. This means to get the final finish i must always use the other side of the trowel.

Is this normal or am i not doing something right regarding maintenance of the trowel ?

What can i do to get rid of the uneven metal which must be causing the slight line marking ?

Sponsored Links
Run your nail (Carefully) down the edge that is making the marks and you will probably find a "dink" or two so either get some emery paper or a fine file and rub gentle over the length of the trowel a few times till the "dinks" go. Had to do that with mine today as I started skimming and I noticed a line in the plaster so I did what I have told you and no probs.

Another way that I always use is a "fine wet stone". You can either put a little drop of oil on the stone, then "carefuly" rub the trowel edges along it, or you can wet the stone with a drop of water. Either way, it'll take away most small "nicks".

Sponsored Links
Another way that I always use is a "fine wet stone". You can either put a little drop of oil on the stone, then "carefuly" rub the trowel edges along it, or you can wet the stone with a drop of water. Either way, it'll take away most small "nicks".
i remember on a job i had a nick in my trowel i asked one of the chippies if they had an oil stone or wet stone he said he dident use them anymore but ive got a diamond stone you can use it took the nick out a lot quicker then the wetstone his stone was quite dear if i remember but i bought a couple of cheap ones at a carboot which done the job just as well once using one of those you wont go back to the wetstone

Run your nail (Carefully) down the edge that is making the marks and you will probably find a "dink" or two so either get some emery paper or a fine file and rub gentle over the length of the trowel a few times till the "dinks" go. Had to do that with mine today as I started skimming and I noticed a line in the plaster so I did what I have told you and no probs.
i think a file is to harsh roy i done it once years ago and ruined the edge on my old mans trowel it took the edge off that had taken years to get mind you there was lots of nicks and it was wafer thin but i would never use a file again

Always worked for me Steve couple of rubs over and sorted. I am talking about a trowel with a good edge and a little dink in it .

Always worked for me Steve couple of rubs over and sorted. I am talking about a trowel with a good edge and a little dink in it .
Only used a file the once it ruined the edge I think it takes to much off but if it's good for you roy then that's great , but next time your at a car boot or on e bay try the diamond stone it works wonders and it's double quick I cant recommend it enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back