Trowel

i used to cherish trowels when i plastered rc,but the work i do now is very unforgiving,my main trowel(14inch)may last 3 months and my second(18inch may last 6 just throwawys really.

Sponsored Links
yes m8,things down our way are moving from monocuche and dashing to thin coat systems and acrilic/silicon textures,with the textures you really have to trowel hard to make any yards, lots of pressure and it just buckles them up :cry
edit to say,sadly there are no skills required ,just a maul really

yes m8,things down our way are moving from monocuche and dashing to thin coat systems and acrilic/silicon textures,with the textures you really have to trowel hard to make any yards, lots of pressure and it just buckles them up :cry
edit to say,sadly there are no skills required ,just a maul really

It's like constantly scraping a tight coat of sticky sand on!

Sponsored Links
iv got a mt ss old school 14"
ss mt wooden handel 14" *3
iv got a phermer shape mt ss trowel steve wants lol like new
20" mt ss wooden handel i like it if its a bit lid flatteing in
midget trowel ss
6 poly floats
sponge floats
twicker (corner trowel)
and i want a new one im a horder most of them i can just pick up and get a good finish with but if you want a good finish id say just get a mt m8 is a life time investement you never know

I filed down the edges
a file is the last thing you want to use on your trowel, filing the edge of a trowel will ruin the edge, the best thing to use is an oil stone, i've had a few nicks in my trowels where the blades are so thin they easily get a nick or 2 if your not careful, i iron them out with an oil stone, both my skimming trowels 14in mt ss and a 12 mt ss had nicks in which i got out using an oil stone, using a file would have killed the edge, and the best blade i have which i used to give the final trowel with is an old tyzac 13 steel trowel given to me by the old spread i worked with when he retired, that has now got a nick in that is taking forever to get out but i daren't use a file on it or i might just as well throw it away.

If the nicks not too bad its surprising how well just rubbing it hard on a pile of sharp sand gets it out or very gently on a thermalite

I use an oilstone too.

But I also use one trowel for putting on finish (and first trowel) and then use the good skimming trowel.

This protects the good trowel from any screws etc if skimming boards , and saves a bit of general wear on it, while giving a chance to wear in a new trowel

tell you what ive got for getting the dinks out,remember the peace of steel your grandad used to use to sharpen the knives up,dont recall the name but it works a treat :)

Its called a" butchers steel" .Do you mean the ones the butchers used to sharpen their knives? I have got an old one that I use to put the edge back on the kitchen knives.... ;) Just google "Butchers Steel.."

Cheap is fine mate just get the right type of metal depending on situation as what plaster your using but yes more expensive trowels are better but we use daily so worth the cost if your not experienced in plastering maybe a cheap trowel might be best and if you want to break in use a old concrete slab for half hour then sand paper

Cheap is fine mate just get the right type of metal depending on situation as what plaster your using but yes more expensive trowels are better but we use daily so worth the cost if your not experienced in plastering maybe a cheap trowel might be best and if you want to break in use a old concrete slab for half hour then sand paper
Hey Lee, you might find nobody responds to your helpful advice on this thread….as the last post was 2010 :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back