Bricklaying Trowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a fair bit of work over the last few years - garden walls, patios, etc.

I've tended to borrow tools from family members however it's always a nuisance and I figure it's time to buy my own.

I've already got a gauging trowel which I use for mixing cement and could really do with a pointing trowel (London pattern as I find the straight edge especially useful) and a brick jointer. I was looking at a set like this which looks decent quality for DIY use and excellent value compared with buying the individual items:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001OX9ZMG/

Will this be decent enough? Should I consider anything else?

Also as a general question, I'm aware that trowels tend to come in a Philadelphia and a London pattern - the former having a curved blade and the latter with straight edges. What are the benefits of each and why do sets tend to come with a London pattern on the smaller trowel and a Philadelphia on the larger?

Sponsored Links
Avoid any jointer that is a rounded "v" shape. They should be half round, and that Ragni one is not half round by the look of things - like many sold now. Get a Marshalltown jointer, proberly and 82/84 is the most useful.

If you want one arm like Popeye, then by all means use a London trowel. These have a thicker blade and one edge should be hardened to do some rough brick cutting. They used to come in left and righ handed versions, but I don't think many do now (WHS should do though and be stamped for the left-handers). If not you'll just end up with a heavy trowel and no advantage.

The yankee shape are for if you want to be home by dinnertime.

But, it may just some down to preference.

Quality wise, for a bit of DIY, it may not matter about the trowels, but it will with the jointer. But it's best to try trowels first, as the handle shape and balance can be different between makes, and can make a big difference in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back