Plasterers Trowel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm currently looking to buy my first plasterers trowel, which I would like to buy right and last for years.

On the plasterers course I had a go at, we used an 11 x 5 inch trowel, which had worn edges (prob from lots of student use!). It seemed ok for use with bonding & finishing.
We were recommended that Marshalltown was a good brand to go for. I've had a quick look on the Net and Marshalltown seems to come in 11 x 4.5 inches or 13 x 5. I'm guessing stainless steel, pre-worn, perhaps with a permasoft handle for comfort seemed a possibly good choice. Though not sure if the gold option was necessary...

Any advice on brands and size recommendation appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think either of the sizes you mentioned 11.5 inches or 13.5 inches would be ok. Until you get competent, maybe the smaller one would be better, but it's your choice. I use a Tyzack, 13.5, but I also have a Ragni 11.5. I had a Tyzack 11.5 inch, 216 pattern, which lasted for years, it was like a razor blade, and clean as a whistle... All of these are stainless steel, which is advisable with todays plasters. Everyone will have their own particular favourite brand.

Roughcaster.

It's all a matter of choice and what suits you. I have used tyzack and Marshalltown for 20 years.. I started of with a 11" tyzack and then a 14" marshaltown. I now have a 14" tyzack and have changed the handle to one that suits me (From A 16" tiling trowel) and use that for skimming and my 14" marshaltown for rendering, and must add that all the trowels I have are Stainless. I can't see the point in using one that is not.. But all my apprentices I have trained , I make sure that they start off with 11" marshaltowns (stainless) and when they are competant I see how they get on with a larger trowel and let them step up if they are comfortable with it.. So if your a beginner start small (Stainless ) and when you get confident either stay with it or step up.You will know when it is tiime....
Good Luck....

Sponsored Links
Will give the 11" marshalltown a try and see how I go.
Thanks for the help.

Pre worn as has been said are a bit of a god send. On any new trowel (stainless) try to round over the sharp corners with a file and then sharpen the blade slightly. It makes all the difference.............

I like marshaltown trowels, but only use the mild steel ones, cos of the way they bend and sound when you have a good scrape lol. Oh and ive also noticed over the years that they rust like buggery therefore nobody wants to steal them.(A good run on sand and c normally sorts that out though) bigger the better in my opinion, but each to thier own.

Thanks guys.
Though I found that all the 11" stainless steel Marshalltowns were not available pre-worn in. Oddly enough pre-worn only seemed to start with the 13" upwards.
So will have to do myself and will bear the advice in mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back