Trowel Size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking on the net for a trowel as I'm learning to plaster.

I was going to get a marshalltown stainless pre worn trowel but which size should I get?

I was thinking 14" x 5"? The ad says "Stainless Steel Permashape Finishing Trowel. With Durasoft handle. This trowel is "broken in" to eliminate lines & ripple from the start."

Comments welcome as I dont want to get the wrong one as its not that cheap.

Sponsored Links
you may find this a bit of a handful, perhaps a smaller one to start with, but youre bang on this is the rolls royce of trowells!

My research has suggested that this is the trowel to go for, whether I could tell the difference between a B&Q £5 trowel I dont know?

Its just the size that doesnt often get mentioned. That site also does a 13" x 5" if that might be better?

quite often diy trowels are rather rigid and unwieldy, the marshaltown are lightweight and flexible,ideal for long days on the trowel.you can get a ragni, stainless wich breaks in quickly and is a good starter trowel.

Sponsored Links
Adrianb,

I am also new to the wonderfull world of plastering. I originally purchased a B&Q 11" £6 special and thought that it was ok. After a while and a few rooms later i decided to invest in a Marshalltown trowel. I opted for the 14"x5" and find it awesome. The difference is amazing. I have now progressed into offering my plastering skills to friends and family.

Trust me and get the marshalltown stainless permashape, they are good

I am now the proud owner of 3 x plasterers trowels i like them that much..

I got a standard steel one for rendering and base work, the stainless steel one for finishing, and i also got a small 10" stainless one (think its that size) for going around tight areas. I found the big one difficult to use around tight spots like plug sockets and so on.

Adrian, Looks a good price. Think i paid around £34.00 for mine

dont worry you can use your trowel for whatever you want.. i just wanted a steel one for rendering with sand and cement... Found the stainless a little springy for that..

Hi JB,

No idea where the bloody solomon islanda are ? dont know how that flag got there ? I live in Lancashire :D

While your here JB, have a question for you... I have been asked to "SKIM" a wall for a guy. i went to look on Wednesday and was shocked to find his idea of skimming a wall was to be able to flatten the interior wall of a 200 year old cottage with 3mm of multi.

The internal walls are random stone with voids about 2 to 3 inch deep. I would say its lime motor, Am i correct in assuming a sand and cement render should not be used in this instance ?

I was thinking alsong the lines of a traditional lime render ( I beleive a skill on its own not one for me ) or easy option would be to batten wall and dryline ?

Whats your thoughts

Mick..

i would go with what you said, if they change their mind in the future or a potential buyer it wont be a big job to put right ;)

I just got home and its all arrived very good service and good price from toolstation.

All looks good, just need to get some plaster and some plasterboards and get practising!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back