Advice required (using Mapei)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been an under the radar browser of these forums for too long and believe i've learnt a bit from all the various posts, so time to sign up and seek the experts advice with my project. So would be most grateful if you can take a couple of mins to read my waffle below and reply ;)

Been renovating my bathroom and ready for tiles on the walls, would be most grateful if you could advice on the following.

Took delivery on Thursday of 500x270x8mm thick unicer ceramic wall tiles.
The wall the shower will be located is plaster skim over plasterboard (this was done before xmas and yes, I have since learnt that weight restrictions are even tighter with a skim at 20kg m², but i think i'll be just ok as my tiles weigh in at 18.2kg m² and believe i read somewhere that a 3-4mm cured bed of addy will be around 1.5kg.

I have a tanking primer and membrane from "Aquaseal" and was planning on scratching up the plaster a bit for a better key for the addy, then apply the tanking.
With the other walls, which are just standard masonry have some flakes on them so was thinking of getting a wire cup attachment for a grinder and taking these random flakes off. Does this sound right? or is there an even better way? I know a wire brush takes forever....

Now i'm in a position to purchase my addy. I was looking at either MAPAI Keraquick or Keraflex Maxi. This is where i'm struggling as from reading, I believe both are fine to use for larger format ceramics on walls, but whats the best choice in your opinion? so far im leaning towards the MAXI as this has a long pot life (so is more noob friendly) and can be used with a solid bed trowel.

Either way both types will require at least either Primer G or Primer S (both mapei again) on the skimmed areas. Would you also prime other walls? which are just like masonry render i think. All i read on these forums is about "G" and not found much about the waterproof "S". Will Primer G be ok in my case, as the most prone areas for water will be tanked. And if so, is it just the case of applying the Primer G over the tanking?

This is the cheapest price I can find for a 20kg bag of Keraflex Maxi S1, good price do you think?
http://www.tilesupply.co.uk/Mapei-K...-20kg-grey-F?gclid=CPmjy8mCrrwCFesJwwodRwkASA

This is the solid bed trowel I was going to purchase, good choice? http://www.tradetiler.com/rubi-stainless-steel-u-notched-trowel.html
tradetiler seems also be the best price I can see for 10mm Straight Edge Aluminium Tile Trim - Chrome, anyone used these and confirm they are fine to work with and whether or not inferior to a trim you would see for 20 quid in somewhere like tilegiant.

One last thing, when you guys put a length of batten horizontal on the wall for your first row of tiles, whats the easiest way do you find to attach to masonry? I was thinking hammer fixings....

Sorry for the long first post, but thought I would squeeze everything in one go. If you've read this far, thanks for your patience :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back