A little bit of tyrolean advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm new on here, and in need of some tips please.

I'm building a block shed in the back garden, so far so good, i'm looking at preparing it for a render finish, and then going to paint it, so far I've bought myself a Tyrolean gun, plastering sand, cement, i'm just after some advice now as to the best mix ratio to use, and the best way to apply the mix to the walls, i'm not a builder, but i'm not afraid to attempt anything, as the photo shows, this is all my own work, from digging the foundations to laying the tiles on the roof, inc all the labouring too, and as 80% of the materials had to be carried through the house by myself too, you can appreciate, i'm not afraid of a bit of graft.

any tips would be most useful

773A0005.jpg

773A0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice work mate. Apply scratch coat first 4-1 mix with some opti mix (feb). Then apply second coat same mix and float smooth. Then apply tyrolean finish slightly wetter mix in gun hold about 2 feet away and at 45 degrees and keep moving dont stop.

thanks Brist, i'm more than pleased with it, as i say, i'm not a builder, but pleased with my efforts so far.
Just one question, what is a scratch coat, is it the same sort of thing as the browning coat when plastering interior walls?

Its the first coat once applied comb it ,this means form straight lines so the second coat sticks to it .You can buy the combs in b&q

Sponsored Links
gotcha, i know what you mean, thanks for that, i'll put a pic or two up once it's done, thanks for the info

Hi Coulsdon Eagle,
That certainly is a tidy job you have made of your shed.It must have taken a while to construct it.The finish that you plan for it will really set it off. The only thing that might be a bit awkward with the rendering is getting in between the fence and the 2 walls beside it. You need a good bit of room for that job,unless the fence can be taken apart.

Regards:Roughcaster.

the back i'm not too bothered about, it's covered by thick bushes, trees and a fence, the right hand side fence will come down and the side done, then the fence will be replaced, although i'm unsure whether to leave the side and just put a higher fence up, we live on a hill and next-door is higher than us, so a higher fence there wont seem so high to them, as long as all the visible surfaces are done, i think it'll look ok

thanks roughcaster, i had a complaint from one of the neighbours about it, a guy from the council came round, took one look at it, and said... " nothing wrong with that, carry on" i was well chuffed

just one other query, i've heard some mention of applying a coat of PVA to the blocks first, is that necessary? if so, i'm guessing the PVA needs to be mixed with water, what ratio? and how long after applying the PVA can i start on the rendering? does it have to dry out completely or can it be done immediately after applying it?

thanks brist, now all i need is a bit of nice weather so i can get on with it, we had an extension done a couple of years back, but having it done meant we lost our garage and brick garden shed, the new kitchen bit of the extension became a storage room for me, she has now told me she wants the kitchen done asap, but i cant do it until i have somewhere to put all my stuff, hence why i've had to build the new shed, a mans work is never done :LOL:

i'm cheating for the rendering - i've got someone coming in to do it, sad to say... i gave up, i did try though, everytime i put a load of render on the wall, the bit i'd just done fell off the wall, i got really fed up keep trying to get it to stay on, i pulled the lot off and called a pro in.

i guess i can say i tried

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back