Tyrolean Tips ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, after applying a scratch coat to the back of my friends house ( the whole of the back face) we have decided it is going to be easier to use a Tyrolean gun to apply the finish coat.

We are going to apply a sand - cement - feb mix at a ratio on 5 -1 -1 using the Tyrolean gun as we have heard Tyrolean is hard to come by (plus we have have sand and cement left over form the first coat!)

Trouble is i have never used a Tyrolean gun, it looks pretty simple to be honest - just aim it at the wall and turn the handle.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers and tips on how to use it ? i We want a fine finish so do you have turn turn the handle faster/slower etc and move across the wall slower/faster to achieve different finishes?

Any help will be greatly appriciated !

Sponsored Links
Thanks roughcaster, am i alright to use a sand cement mix though straight onto the scratch coat or do i need a second coat first?

Thanks mate

Scratch coat, with waterproofer/plasticiser,,,, then top coat sand and cement render. Dont use any waterproofer in the top coat, only plasticiser,,,, you need suction to build up the tyrolean itself. Tyrolean onto the finished render when it has completely dried out, and choose a nice day to do it.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate but im a bit confused :rolleyes: :oops:

I was told that you dont have to use Tyrolean, i have been told i can apply a scracth coat (which i did last week) and then use then tyrolean gun to apply my second coat of sand cement and feb mix

So in effect not using any Tyrolean at all just using the Tyrolean gun

Have you heard of this before?

Thanks mate

Never heard that one before,,, always scratch coated,, top coated and then tyrolean finish, (Cullamix). Some people make up their own tyrolean mix, using sand/cement, and fire that on ( i never have), so maybe that's what they meant, but i'm certain they would have applied a top coat of render first,, otherwise, if you tyrolean directly onto a scratch coat,, the scratch lines will show through the finished job, leaving an awful mess.

Roughcaster.

Ok mate thanks, :) i suppose if i applied it thicker then maybe you wont see the scratch lines?

the link below shows it done without a top coat.

http://wbs-ltd.co.uk/renders_finishes_tyrolean.htm

I think i might give it blast without the top coat and just mix up my own mix without the tryolean in. I suppose that is just the same as applying a top coat and sponging . Just applying it a different way (with the gun) and not sponging

I think the title of your post (Tyrolean Tips) could be where the confusion is could be coming from Jammo. I was assuming your objective was to tyrolean a wall,,, but you seem to be saying that rather than apply the top coat of render with a hawk and trowel, you have been told it can be done using a tyrolean gun. I can't help you there,, never done it that way before,,, don't know anyone else who's done it that way either. If you can use a hawk and trowel, why would you want to use the machine? I think it would take forever to coat out,, loading up the gun all the time,,, :rolleyes: whereas with the trowel, you would cover the area in no time at all.

Roughcaster.

To be honest mate because it is the whole exterior face of the back of the house, i would have thought it would have been quicker just firing it on with the gun and leaving, rather than applying with the trowel the sponging off

Traditional cement render/tyrolean is carried out the way that i described. Never seen this version before. I'm reading through the link you posted.

Roughcaster.

Right sorry to be a pain in the arse! We have decided we are using tyrolean mix now ( we are doing it properly not cutting corners)

I have been told though when tyroleaning that you have to keep moving to get a consistent finish.

Thats fair enough but what about when you have to stop to climb up the scaffholding to do the top half. You have no choice but to stop then. Will it be hard to match up?

Thanks for being patient with me :oops:

That's one thing about tryolean, it's not hard to match up, unlike roughcast. Spray an even coat over the wall as you go,, don't overload it. Then go back and start over it again, and again, until you are happy with the finish. If you spray too heavy a coat it will start to run,, so steady as you go,, as they say, you can always put more on, but you cant take any off once you've started. It might be handy too, if you have someone with you who can advise you as you go, because if it goes wrong, it's a major problem.

Roughcaster.

The idea of keeping the gun moving as you work, has more to do with keeping an even coat, rather than keeping a wet edge from lift to lift. As i said earlier, with roughcast, you have to keep the wet edge in the mortar as you go down the wall,, otherwise you end up with a visible join at each lift,,, but with tyrolean finish, you don't have that worry, you are only spraying onto the hard rendered surface.
Picture a paint sprayer going over a surface evenly, then going over it again, and again,, you're doing the same,, only with tyrolean. :LOL: It's heavy on the arms and you need to cover up all windows/doors etc, and if it does go on the glass, wipe it off very carefully, because it will cause scratching to the glass,, the same as mortar does.

Roughcaster.

ok mate, well we are doing a small area about 15ft x 25ft first on a friends house so that will be good practice. then we are tackling the big one the whole side of another friends house im feeling pretty confident having read through your advice.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain it all to me mate :)

No problem Jammo,, and it was good reading the link about the other method too,,, all the best, and ask anytime.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back