tyroleaning parts of already done wall, newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tyrolean Flicker Gun can i use just sand and cement mix because i had a bag of snowcrete stuff for it but it has gone off and i cannot find any now so will sand and cement do if so what ratio do i use and what type of sand, also do i need to pva or prime the walls or put any waterproofer in the mix, thanks.
the bits of wall i am doing have been scratch coated and top coat so i think they are ready for tyrolean.

Sponsored Links
I would use powdered "Cullamix" (brand name) tyrolean product, it's made for the job. Just add the correct amount of powder to a measured amount of water, stir/mix it properly, pour it into the tyrolean flicker, (splatter-box), and you're ready to go.... Make sure you stir the mix regularly in the bucket, otherwise it will settle to the bottom,,,, and even with the flicker machine,, stir or shake the contents regularly too, because they settle fairly quickly as well ........ I've never used a home made sand and cement mix to tyrolean finish a wall, although others might have. Cullamix, in a variety of colours should be readily available from your local builders merchant. Using "it" will take all the guesswork out of trying to make your own, and as I said,, just add water, stir regularly, mask/polythene/cover everything, glass, windows, doors, frames, sills, etc (very important 'cos it's messy) ,,,,,, don't overload each coat, build it up gradually, choose a good dry day, and Bob's your uncle.

Also,, you DON'T use PVA before you apply the Cullamix, there's no need to use PVA at all when doing tyrolean ,,,,,, plus, it is also important that the rendered surface/s is "bone dry". If you tyrolean onto a wet,, damp,, or a PVA/sealed rendered surface, it wont work,,,, you will not be able to build up the texture. You need some suction for it to work..... It might seem like an easy job to do, just turn the machine handle, and flick it on the wall, but if you have never done it before, be wary,,,, 'cos there's a lot more to it than that, as i'm sure you'll know.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back