A Lovely Story - Congrats To The Euro Millions Winners

I would have remained anon ?

Yeah, nutters. "Look, I have £180 million quid and don't know what to do with it!!!"

I think they said it would be too stressful telling closest family, and then asking them not to mention anything, and trying to hide it forever.

I would have just said I won a million on premium bonds or something, to justify the new house and clothes, then enjoyed a lot of long, quiet holidays. A world cruise or 5 to start with, while decided what to do.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, nutters. "Look, I have £180 million quid and don't know what to do with it!!!"

I think they said it would be too stressful telling closest family, and then asking them not to mention anything, and trying to hide it forever.

I would have just said I won a million on premium bonds or something, to justify the new house and clothes, then enjoyed a lot of long, quiet holidays. A world cruise or 5 to start with, while decided what to do.
Similar to my plan, keep existing house on, buy a flash pad in a good location, I have been muttering about retiring and travelling in the camper, so off we go to our bolthole and then off on holiday around the world, occasional visit home

They're unwise to go public, they're open now to constant harassment which will continue forever. All sorts of fake and legitimate sob stories, and the rest. It would be worth a mob kidnapping some relative. If it was 5 or 10 mill to get them back they'd pay it and we'd never hear. There are clever teams of people out there.
Years back I did some work for a close rel of a well known rich guy over a longish period. All the extended families' kids had drivers and minders for good reason, as various of them had had trouble. I was checked out when something somewhere happened. His wife apologised - all a bit spooky.

These winners will have intermediaries for appeals, communications etc but if some attractive bright kid's family asks for £5m for an operation to save their life and the couple say no, the gutter press would probably publish it.
The lottery people do have advisers, to put the cash somewhere discreet.
If they let people know thay'd won say £3m, they could explain cars, house etc.

Being predudiced (or experienced?) about some of the things I noticed in the interview, I thought immediately that it would go badly if left to them.

Simple. Bin the letters.
Most of the big winners will give to charity, family and friends so bin the letters and messages, it is really as simple as that.

Not talking re this win but others over the world, it is your ex and step kids, kids etc you need to worry about.

We dont do the lottery but if I'f won that - an apartment overlooking Hyde Park and would have been staying in a plush hotel in the city and deciding who gets what, cars to buy and a place in the USA but 2nd thoughts live there in hotels as we'd soon get fed up and possibly a mid-priced surry mansion that was not too big costing about 20 mill already furnished etc. I would not have time for begging letters but chose my own lot for charity one-off payments and if I read a story about someone that i felt could benefit and give them the cash

A mill does not go a long way if you already have you home paid off and a few other properties but it still makes a big difference but anthing over 100 mill is super fantastic.

Btw - this thread is supposed to wish the couple all the best and not other comments.

Sponsored Links
I think part of the challenge would be those around you. For example, if I won tens of millions, I'd want to give my sister a few million. So, straight off the bat, she knows I've not just won a few million and no doubt it would be a talking point with her kids, who would then be talking to their mates etc. So word would spread.

One thing I do know however is I wouldn't go public and even taking the above into account, I would try my best to come up with a story (even to family and friends) that didn't shout I'VE JUST WON £100+ MILLION!!!

You can bin letters, but it's the people that will boldly walk up to your door and remind you of what amazing friends you are, or how they helped you out 10 years ago with that leaky pipe, and can they "borrow" just 20K for a new car please?

I've had one bet placed on my behalf via a mate that is the only bet we have ever placed and that was re Dallas, 'Who shot Sue Allen' I think it was a quid and I'm not sure who i said it was but did not win thankfully as a win may have got me hooked and thanjfully when i was younger you did not have online gambling but needed to go to the shop or teletext i think then phone
I'm not surprised you didn't win ........ it was JR not Sue Ellen :rolleyes:

I remember when Lotto first started and a woman I worked with saying 'If I win big I'm f**king off to the other side of the world and telling NO ONE!'

I reckon she was being serious :)

180 million

Amongst a lot of other things I would do

I would find out were the head of our local council lives or others people that have caused me grief

Buy the house next door
Move a load dead beats in rent free and there remit would be to make his or her life a misery

Same go’s for who ever is a high up in southern water he it she would get new neighbours

180 million

Amongst a lot of other things I would do

I would find out were the head of our local council lives or others people that have caused me grief

Buy the house next door
Move a load dead beats in rent free and there remit would be to make his or her life a misery

Same go’s for who ever is a high up in southern water he it she would get new neighbours
I mused with buying the house opposite my SIL and airbnb ing it as a party house

Very difficult keeping big wins out of the public domain. When mum/dad hands over £5m each to their kids, the first question asked by the banks or any institution who handles the money will ask where it came from. The kids suddenly purchasing flash cars, fancy holidays and big houses would soon risk friends/neighbours sussing them out. Also the gutter press regularly put out feelers asking their readers if they know the 'secret' big winners. :(

The lottery management lot are very well set up for that - have been since it started. There have been recipients describing their security and investment people, over the years. Lots of considerations I'd never have thought of.
Banks are also well set up to look after their prized "high net worth" individuals.
£5m is a house in Fulham - not remarkable to inherit, there are loads of em.

Sponsored Links
Back