a matter of identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright peeps,
got a question for you all - there i was, digging a hole and nice and shallow and i hit a steel pipe of about 1.5 ro 1.75" diameter, in good condition wrapped in a thin coat of what seems like paper soaked bitumen. it flakes off and i've got nice shiny steel where i've been chopping at it. it's now wrapped in denso and has been reburied.

but what was it?

the situation is that a couple of houses up the hill have their sewerage run down shallow through this garden to the highway below, now i'm wondering if this pipe could be water, gas or electric feeding these houses. i don't see why it should as they face onto a road themselves.

anyone recognise the description?

i'll try asking this in plumbing if you're all shaking your heads ;)

Sponsored Links
Years back paper was used and oil soaked to insulate vulcanised rubber, hard to say shame you didn't use a non contact voltage detector.

Sponsored Links
"wrapped in a thin coat of what seems like paper soaked bitumen"

the wrapper sounds to me like electrical. However the steel armour is more often wound, so that it is flexible, round my way, rather than gas-barrel pipe.

"wrapped in a thin coat of what seems like paper soaked bitumen".... the wrapper sounds to me like electrical. However the steel armour is more often wound, so that it is flexible, round my way, rather than gas-barrel pipe.
'Electrical' would have been my first guess. However, the short lengths of pipe which exit the ground at either end of the run from my LPG tank to my house (the long underground run is all plastic) are steel wound with something 'black and sticky' - so maybe gas is another possibility. Mind you, what the OP describes sounds rather large for a gas supply pipe to a single property.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back