Burying conduit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garden path project.

I need to get the 10m power lead from my sump pump (dirty water pump) to the outside wall socket. I've laid all my channel drainage system, sump chamber, etc. and now need to install the pump. It has a sealed integral power lead that I have to get to the other side of the path and so onto the wall socket. I haven't yet layed the path so before I put down the scalpings, sand and blocks I'd like to run a buried galvanised steel conduit below the path, then up and across the house wall to the socket. I'll cut the moulded plug off the pump power lead so as to feed the cable through the 1" conduit. Total conduit length approx 7m.

So a couple of questions:

How deep (or shallow) should the conduit be buried below the path?
Should I wrap the galvanised conduit in Denso tape below ground?
The threaded pipe joins ... what should I seal these with to weather proof them?

I've got a heavy duty pipe bender and conduit dies so the metalwork will be straightforward enough.

Sponsored Links
I think the accepted wisdom is that you can't stop underground conduit joins from leaking.

Could you not run SWA to an outlet nearer the pump so that you don't have to bury its power cord?

Sensible idea. The next pump may not come with a 10 metre long lead.
I was going to say the same, thats what we've done with our pond pump. SWA down the garden buried to the required depth. Waterproof socket near by, plug left on, spare cable bundled up. Sorted. Made it a double socket as well and you have power to hand for future.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Why worry about it filling with water? Every duct I've ever seen opened was full of water.

The problem being is the steel is being used as the earthed protective layer to enable ordinary flex to be buried underground. If it fills with water it WILL rust away, even if it's galv conduit.

S'pose you could use stainless £££££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back