burying cables in the wall

Sponsored Links
I'm "on about" sheathing.

You cut a chase in the plaster. You run in your Twin and Earth, you get some lengths of sheathing, and you use masonary nails to fix it to the wall. You then plaster it back up.

Don't tell me, you all call it "capping" or some such and had no idea what I was on about.

Sponsored Links
You are permitted to work to another European standard

You are permitted to work to any standard you like so long as the result is a "reasonably safe" installation. Other European standards are mentioned specifically in the Approved Document, but that doesn't mean that a non-European standard would not meet the very broad requirement of Part P. Getting some bureaucrat from the local authority to acknowledge that is another matter, of course.

So what do you call the outer covering of a cable?

And can you describe capping?

CAAKD8IECA88O6NECA5H235BCA19YMCJCA4PUO14CA1B99W2CA6ZX5ALCA5EBLN1CAALIR0MCA17GNWMCA22ZQBJCARV73FWCA82AHHGCAIAY0NECAY3A3W5CAMXEZLCCA8C45ZLCAUE.jpg

OK, here's a picture I found of some cables covered in sheathing / capping. And no one knows what I'm talking about?

BTW, I call the outer covering of twin and earth "insulation", it is after all double insulated cable.

However using oval conduit or capping does two things. It makes it easier to plaster and protects the cable while it is being plastered.
Please correct me, but I think that a single 2.5mm² T+E in conduit buried in plaster is rated at 23A. With two cables in the conduit, the grouping factor is 0.8, so the current carrying capacity drops to 18.4A. I think this is inadequate for a RFC where the cables should be rated at 20A.

I don't know how plastic or metal capping affects the cable's ccc, but I suspect it is similar to conduit as there is no intimate contact between cable and plaster. I must be missing something because it seems accepted practice to group two 2.5mm² T+E cables in conduit or under capping buried in plaster.

Depends on the size of the conduit.
how? Surely as conduit size increases there will initially be more insulating stagnant air (double glazing stylie). What conduit would I need to bury in plaster to carry a pair of T+E 2.5mm² cables each with a current carrying capacity of at least 20A?

Can I thank all who responded to my my question. It was interesting to see how the discussion went.
For the record we decided not to place the cable behind the skirting but channeled up the wall from the socket through the loft and back down the wall on the opposite side.

What was the route like through the loft?

Did the cable run through any joists, or under boards?

Through or under insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back