Burying Sockets and cable in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to remove our old kitchen and fit a new one in it's place.
The whole house was rewired professionally 3 years ago when we moved in. The current kitchen walls are covered in wooden panels, the sockets and mounts are just screwed on to the wood with cables fed down between wood and wall.

What i want to do with the new kitchen is to bury the sockets with new metal mounting plates sunk in to the wall along with the cable buried too.

The cables will all be vertical below the sockets and I intend to bury them 50mm at least and plaster over.

What i want to double check is that it will be ok to bury the conduit in the wall without the need for shielding as they will be within the safe zones.

Thanks
Karl

Sponsored Links
I am about to remove our old kitchen and fit a new one in it's place.
You will need some acro-props.

The cables will all be vertical below the sockets and I intend to bury them 50mm at least and plaster over.
You will not be able to do that and it is not necessary.
The maximum allowed is one third the depth of the leaf for vertical chases and one sixth for horizontal.
Go just deep enough to allow satisfactory plastering.
The circuits must be RCD protected but probably are with recent rewiring.

What i want to double check is that it will be ok to bury the conduit in the wall without the need for shielding as they will be within the safe zones.
Yes. You don't even have to use conduit.

You will need some acro-props.
I sure hope not :D.

Thanks for the replies, yes the sockets are RCD'd.

So it looks like all i need to do is chase the cables down deep enough so that they are flush with the wall ready for plastering.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back