Buried Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a water feature that plugs into 13amp socket, but the cable is only 2 metres in length, I want to put the Feature further away from the socket and also bury the cable under the lawn. What cable do I need, and does it have to be in conduit?

Sponsored Links
Unusual for such a short cable length.

The best thing to do here is to fit an outdoor socket close to the water feature, and plug it in. But the socket must then comply with all relevant regulations.

You can get resin-filled cable joints but they are hard to use, not really a DIY thing.

Has it got a transformer?

If so, that explains the short cable. As Crafty says, you'll need a suitably protected socket close to the water feature.

Sponsored Links
Hi Silver:

You can use steel wire armour cable //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:cable_types:swa. (600mm deep, and don't forget your RCD protection for the garden if you don't have it already, plus you need approval for a new socket out there :(

[edit: approval is the wrong word, notifiable is what I meant] :oops:

oggers said:
Hi Silver:

You can use steel wire armour cable //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:cable_types:swa. (600mm deep, and don't forget your RCD protection for the garden if you don't have it already, plus you need approval for a new socket out there :(

450mm deep! not 600! though 600 would be better! :)

The socket should be fixed above ground, either to a fence, wall, or a wooden or concrete panel rammed in the ground.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56481.html would be ideal, as you can close the lid around the plug top.
MK56481.JPG

Cheers for all the advise lads.

Electrician coming tomorrow to replace cable with a longer length. He says the simple answers are always the best.

he is unlikely to be able to terminate armoured directly to the pump and unless steel conduit is used normal flex really shouldn't be burried, there is also the issue of correctly replacing the flex in a way that does not comprimise the waterproofing which may be difficult or impossible.

do not assume that just because someone calls themselves an electrician that they are going to do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back