burying cables in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several runs of cables from sockets on a ring main to spur sockets. The cabling is housed in ducting on the outside of the wall. I would like to bury this cabling into the plaster. Can I do so behind the skirting? Do I need to encase the cabling in conduit? Should the conduit be PVC or metal?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am guessing that the cable is in mini trunking running around the room, and you are asking if you can run it behind the skirting board all the way round. You can rise up behind the skirting to the socket positions, from under the floor, but outside of that you will need to chase the cable into the plaster and cover it with sheathing, then plaster over it.

CW.

Sponsored Links
I think the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations say it is OK to bury T+E cables vertically or horizontally in line with outlets and within 150mm of an internal corner or within 150mm of the ceiling. However, this hidden cable should be protected by a 30mA RCD (as should most sockets). Fixing behind skirting boards is a bad idea as they are commonly removed to fit flooring and nailed back. Some electricians don't like horizontal cable runs between outlets.

The 17th Edition Regulations are not statutory yet, so I think the RCD might be optional, albeit it is standard practice and a very good idea.

How else would you satisfy the requirments of part P without working to BS7671?????

Running horizontally behind a skirting is not permitted.

Cables must be within the horizontal or vertical planes of an accessory or within 150mm of an internal wall corner or ceiling corner.

If it is possible it wouild be alot less damage if you could get your wiring concealed under the floor for the majority of it's run.

For a vertical chase you must not remove more that 1/3 of the thickness of the wall, for a horizontal chase you must not remove more than 1/6 of the thickness.

How else would you satisfy the requirments of part P without working to BS7671?????

By working to a similar or higher standard that the Local Building Control Officers accept as being a suitable and safe standard for the electrical installation at the location.

BS7671 is a convenient and generally accepted standard. Other standards are available for non standard installations.

That does NOT mean DIYers should attempt to work to any other standard as it is extremely unlikely they will have the necessary knowledge and ability to convince the Local Building Control Officers that their DIY work is safer than if they had complied with the requirements of BS7671

You are permitted to work to another European standard for example if you were German you may wish to wire to German standard so all equipment would interchange. However only the LABC could issue the completion certificate and it would be a real pain to get it all passed.

Although BS7671:2008 is not law it can be used in a court of law so one may as well treat it as law.

As to wires in walls there is a special cable designed to go into walls refereed to as Ali-Tube which conforms to BS 8436 so does not need RCD protection. However more expensive than twin and earth and often only sold by the role. Wires need conduit or other protection cables do not. Twin and earth and Ali-tube are cables so do not "Need" extra protection. However using oval conduit or capping does two things. It makes it easier to plaster and protects the cable while it is being plastered. Metal capping is liked by the plasterer as it does not flex, however there is an issue using metal in walls which is not earthed so electricians don't like it.

Since until amendment 1 we need to have RCD protection for all sockets rather than fit all RCD sockets and Ali-tube likely cheaper to fit the RCD at the consumer unit and use standard sockets and twin and earth.

The wall zones have not altered in years and fitting sockets on the shirting unless fitted upside down is likely to put too much strain on the cords as they come out of the plug. It is all in Wiki here you will note there is not a zone behind skirting and it does say at bottom they should not be put behind skirting unless using metal conduit.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the regulations don't require compliance with BS7671 and despite the fact that the guidelines in the Approved Document clearly indicate that this is the case, there are some inspectors who seem to think that following BS7671 to the letter is the only acceptable method. Some local-authority websites and guidance leaflets even contain statements to the effect of "Work must comply with BS7671."

Looking with interest for Ali-tube I checked http://www.britishcables.co.uk/catalog/wire_and_cable/22_87_282.cspx
wac_3_1_282.gif

Anything wrong with the blue insulator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back