Burying Cable in In Plastered walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, All Thanks for reading.
I have a simple question for all you sparkey types. What the proper practice on burying cable in walls? I have a twin 13A Socket in my kitchen on a ring and I intend to spur of this to a single socket along the wall about 5’ to the left of the original socket.

To do this I will need to dig channel in the wall for the cable (solid walls) do I need to use conduit or capping of some kind before filling the channel back in, what are the regs concerning this?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
i would suggest you put the socket on the ring (especially as its in the kitchen)

i would also suggest that you take the cable verticaly not horizontaly, for 2 reasons.

1, Its the "norm"
2, today you know it runs horizontal, what about next year, new shelf and bang.

the cable should be protected by capping, preferably steel capping.

and also are you aware of part P (if not search for it)

Regs do not require capping, although using it is best. I would prefer oval conduit.

Enlarging the ring to take account of the new socket would be best, if possible.

Why install a single?? Go for a double.

Chasing horizontally is compliant with the regs, but many do not like the idea. As long as the cable stays in the zone formed horizontaly or verticaly of the sockets, you are fine.

Sponsored Links
so use firetuff or similar cables which have a built in metal screen;)

could also use swa split con or pyro but pyro and SWA are a pain to terminate and split con only tends to be availible in 4mm and up iirc

This scenario does simply sound like a zoning job though. No extra protection required when the cable is run horizontally or vertacally to/from a socket.

Oval tube, or plastic capping is to protect the cable during plastering.

You could, if you wanted, clip the cable in the chase, and plaster directly over the top, not an ideal way to go.

MI, Armour, SplitCon, Steel Conduit etc could be used where the runs are outside the zones, but in this case I think this is not neccessary.

When do people ever use the crap steel capping?? I see no point, and the cut edges are sharp!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back