Pull wire out of conduit of existing spur socket

nbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the new home I moved into I have realized that one spur socket does not work. Looking into it, it turns out that spur socket has its wiring chopped off in the main socket the spur socket was meant to be connected to (why would someone do that, having gone through the pain of getting a conduit with wire in is beyond my imagination :unsure: ).

Attached is a pic of the main socket, showing the wiring from the spur socket being chopped off, and a pic of the wall where you can see the path of the conduit by following the filler...

Now, how would I go about pulling that wire out and installing a new one so that I make the spur socket properly powered? I have tried pulling the wire from the spur socket end but I think the 90 degrees angle that you can see from the path that the filler does is not actually helping...

Thanks

Attachments

• 20221228_111655.jpg
    20221228_111655.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20221229_093623.jpg
    20221229_093623.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
Is it definitely in conduit ? If it is ,it should be fairly easy to draw a new cable through. Where is the other socket ,is it close to the corner in your pic ?
Anyone's guess as to why it has been disconnected .

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely in conduit ? If it is ,it should be fairly easy to draw a new cable through. Where is the other socket ,is it close to the corner in your pic ?
Anyone's guess as to why it has been disconnected .

If you zoom in the bottom right of the first pic, you can see a black rubber circle inside which you have grey rubber with the cables in. I call the back rubber cilinder the conduit. I am first tackling the removal of the old / chopped off cable first, as I pulled and it can't seem to move. Drawing a new cable through will be the next problem...

The other socket is on the outside wall, opposite the wall straight after the 90 degrees angle that the filler does in the second picture.

The black rubber is a grommet.
the wires are likely in a capping and burried in the plaster.
I doubt that you’d have much luck.

you could try chipping some plaster away along the horizontal line and see if you have round conduit, or square trunking/capping.

• Thanks
Reactions: nbr
Understood. I'll chip away filler and plaster to get the cable out. Question is whether while I am at it I should install a conduit myself for easier maintenance in the future, rather than burying the new cable into the plaster again?

So that feed goes to an outside socket? Personally I think I'd be tempted to chop a single box in next to that socket and put a switched connection unit there, allows you to connect onto that cable, plus isolation for outside sockets is on the 'Quite nice to have, even if you never really need it' list

Is the circuit that the donor socket is on, protected by an RCD ??

So that feed goes to an outside socket? Personally I think I'd be tempted to chop a single box in next to that socket and put a switched connection unit there, allows you to connect onto that cable, plus isolation for outside sockets is on the 'Quite nice to have, even if you never really need it' list

Good idea - best if it isolates both poles.

Understood. I'll chip away filler and plaster to get the cable out. Question is whether while I am at it I should install a conduit myself for easier maintenance in the future, rather than burying the new cable into the plaster again?

No special need for that. I wonder if the outdoor socket went faulty/suffered water ingress etc.?

• Thanks
Reactions: nbr
No special need for that. I wonder if the outdoor socket went faulty/suffered water ingress etc.?
The "outdoor" socket goes to a conservatory that I am removing. So I am trying to convert that socket into an external socket, but that socket currently has no power.

I guess we'll never know why the spur wirings got chopped off from the donor socket

Can you please expand as I am not sure I fully understand? The feed goes to a socket that was in a conservatory that, after the removal of the conservatory, will become an outdoor socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back