Pull wire out of conduit of existing spur socket

Is the circuit that the donor socket is on, protected by an RCD ??
Therr is an rcd tap in the consumer unit with a separate downstairs sockets tap. I believe the socket in question belongs to the downstairs sockets category

Sponsored Links
Can you please expand as I am not sure I fully understand? The feed goes to a socket that was in a conservatory that, after the removal of the conservatory, will become an outdoor socket.

Add a box to the right of the existing one, your cut-off cable will then be long enough to enter that one. Then add a double pole fused spur, to the new box, fed from your working socket. That new spur, has two advantages...

1. If your outside socket developed an issue, water ingress etc., and began tripping the circuit, you have an easy method of isolating.
2. You can turn it off when not using it, to prevent anyone stealing your power.
3. (did I say two?) it resolves your cut short cable problem.

Add a box to the right of the existing one, your cut-off cable will then be long enough to enter that one. Then add a double pole fused spur, to the new box, fed from your working socket. That new spur, has two advantages...

1. If your outside socket developed an issue, water ingress etc., and began tripping the circuit, you have an easy method of isolating.
2. You can turn it off when not using it, to prevent anyone stealing your power.
3. (did I say two?) it resolves your cut short cable problem.
Why a fused spur? Why not a double pole switch?

Sponsored Links
Ended up like this.

Use round twin and earth cable rather than flat though (the round cable I had lying around had all the 3 wires readily sleeved) so will now need like 4 cable ties, 2 for the angle and 2 for closer to the socket where the cable protrudes (there is wood behind)

Attachments

• 20230101_131839.jpg
    20230101_131839.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 58
Ended up like this. ...... Use round twin and earth cable rather than flat though (the round cable I had lying around had all the 3 wires readily sleeved) ....
I presume that you are referring to flexible cable ('flex'), rather than what is usually understood by "twin an earth"?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back