''A New Form of Heating From Germany''

There's no trickery. 1KW in = 1KW of heat out. Every single joule that goes in, in the form of electricity, comes out in the form of heat. So a 1KW light bulb in a biscuit tin produces exactly the same amount of heat as a 1KW super dooper aluminium magnesium oil filled wizzo Italian German Spanish radiator costing eight hundred quid.

I'm not sure about that. I assume that some of the energy emitted by a lamp is in the form of visible light (although, admittedly most is heat). The most efficient use of electricity for heating would result in all of the emitted energy being in the form of infra red.

Just waffling, you understand. I'm no expert.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about that. I assume that some of the energy emitted by a lamp is in the form of visible light (although, admittedly most is heat). .

But that light hits an object (the inside of the biscuit tin) and is converted to heat. Energy, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed.

I think

Julian

I'm not sure about that. I assume that some of the energy emitted by a lamp is in the form of visible light (although, admittedly most is heat). .

But that light hits an object (the inside of the biscuit tin) and is converted to heat. Energy, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed.

I think

Julian

That was the way the Victorian's saw the world, but the "atomic age" has proven mass can be "destroyed".. though really it is converted into energy (E=mc^2). This can be by fission or fusion.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
That was the way the Victorian's saw the world, but the "atomic age" has proven mass can be "destroyed".. though really it is converted into energy (E=mc^2). This can be by fission or fusion.

Nuclear

Yes indeed, I realise this, though as there is no such nuclear fusion or fission taking place inside a biscuit tin I fail to see the relevance of the point?

Like the electric car - although all the eco warriors would no doubt disagree.

Yes. They seem to be unaware that electricity has to be generated in order to charge up these cars. Perhaps they think the windmills do that. :rolleyes:
Maybe they ought to fit windmills to the top of these cars so they can charge up when they're in motion and also when stationary at traffic lights or when parked :idea:

Crikey, I think I've just solved the world energy crisis :D

Hip, hip, hip....

Good idea. But why not sails? I reckon I could fit a mainmast in the middle of my car: mainsail, topsail, topgallant. I wouldn't need an engine.

I suppose I'd have to plan my route to avoid low bridges.

OK whilst the efficiency of a 100w bulb in a tin box may match these overpriced rads, how does this compare to the efficiency of a radiator/central heating. How much of that energy/heat is lost in transferall from boiler to the rad itself?
Does this mean these rads are more efficient as there is zero loss, is that what they are saying here?

:confused:

OK whilst the efficiency of a 100w bulb in a tin box may match these overpriced rads, how does this compare to the efficiency of a radiator/central heating. How much of that energy/heat is lost in transferall from boiler to the rad itself?
Does this mean these rads are more efficient as there is zero loss, is that what they are saying here?

:confused:

Heat loss from a boiler varies from about 40% to about 5% I think, depending on its design, although I'm no expert on this matter. So given the price of gas or oil I think it's safe to say that conventional central heating is probably cheaper (obvious as a generalisation) that electric radiators.

Sponsored Links
Back