A new garage roof for a double garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people,

I think I posted on here a good while ago, but the time has finally come to put a new roof on our aging prefab double garage.

It measures 5.7M long by 4.9M wide, and I am thikning of using a kit from these people: http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/25mm-Polycarbonate-Roof-Kits.html

I was going to use Wickes, but the longest they sell the sheets in is 4M, this place does them in 6m lengths, which is rather a boon, as it means no crossways joins, so nowhere for water to gather.
Am I missing anything?

It's 25mm sheeting, and the garage has regular supports across, so I am hoping it is sufficient - if not I will add some additional wooden ones.

The current angle is pretty shallow, so I am planning to up this with some suitably sized wood added to the beams and redusing the height as I go along to get a nice steady drainage angle.

I will get some new PVC facias to replace the current wooden ones as well, and am also planning to replace all the (5) windows and one side door as well - the main metal up and over door is fine.

Any comments on that roofing material or for anywhere else I should try instead??

We're aiming to get the current roof sheets off, and get the new roof on and windows and door in over a 4 day weekend.

There will be 3 or 4 diy proficient people working on it for those days.
Manageable??

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hiya m8

All sounds good

I would recommend using C&A Building Plastics, you may find the roof system cheaper

Heres the address

www.cabp.co.uk

Used them a few times for sheet roofing

Good luck with the project

you will need to support accross the sheets every 500 to 600mm along its length

idealy you want around 1 in12 on the slope more iff possible

Nice one guys, thanks very much for those replies,

CCK: That's good to get a personal recommendation, counts for a lot.
I mailed them at the weekend and have had no reply yet, so perhaps it is better just to give them a call.

The link you posted seems to be the same comapny, I think it just re-routes to the casupply website.

big-all: I will need to go and measure how far apart the metal supports are for the current sheeting, I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it is greater than that I will put some intermediate timber supports in.

When you say a 1/12 slope, I make that an 8.5% slope or more - do I read that correctly?

Cheers for the help!

Dan

Sponsored Links
yes 11 degrees probably best

you may be ok with greater spacings or a shallower angle with 25mm but the shallower the angle the greater chance off water penetration on the side by side joins and the screw holes even with caps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back