A question of insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's happened for the second year the washing machine's cold water pipe has frozen.

The washing machine is situated in a detatched garage which whilst dry is un heated and un insulated.

So the question is:

How do I prevent the cold water feed pipes ball valve and the flexy pipe from the ball valve to the machine keeps freezing. I've looked and looked for insulated ball valves and flexy washing machine pipes but as expected they don't seem to exist. I've lagged the pipes with foam pipe insulation, but ball valve still seems to get hit as does the felcy water pipe.

We don't live in the coldest county (even in Europe) so any ideas?

Cheers
Blues

Sponsored Links
You need to consider what insulation/lagging does: it holds heat in, rather than generates it. Your water supply to your washer is cold water, and the water is probably sitting in the line most of the time. Thus during cold snaps, there is no heat to insulate (retain) and the water is able to freeze.

I would strongly encourage you to have a shut-off valve, with a drain on the side of the valve nearest the garage, installed in the house on the pipe leading to your garage, and closing it during cold spells (except when you need to run the washer, obviously). Otherwise, you can just thaw the pipe with warm water, but you do risk a burst.

Hi,
I've lagged the pipes up to the shut off tap and these don't freeze hence my thinking.

Plan two I was thinking about a external shut off valve with a drain valve to protect the pipework.

Perhaps I need to install trace heating...

Hard to think in 2010 we still can't get this stuff correct.

Sponsored Links
We had this problem last year but worked out a simple solution this year that has done the trick even down to an outdoor temp of -15 overnight.

All I did was get a standard room thermostat (£7 off ebay) and wired it up to a 60w tube heater (the moisture-proof type used in greenhouses etc).

I mounted the heater on the wall behind the washing machine (which also happens to be below the pipework for the washing machine) and set the thermostat to 5 degrees. Now, when the temp drops below 5 degrees the heater comes on and heats the pipework and all the sensitive parts of the washing machine (pump etc). As it is only 60w it costs very little to run but because it is right behind the washer, it does just enough to prevent frost damage. Cost £25 to install all in.

iep

Hi IEP,
I like that, I'll take a look into this.

Did you box in the Washing Machine to keep the heat in or is it free standing?

Cheers
Blues

No, didn't bother with that. Thought I'd try it without and see how it went. I hung a min/max thermometer down the back and kept an eye on that. Never drops below 5 degrees so I figured it didn't need it.

I do keep the washing machine slotted neatly between the freezer and tumble drier though so it is fairly well boxed in by those.

iep

Cheers
Just specing up the parts now, i think with a mini re-wire of the garage around the washers I'll come to about £50.00 which is better than a kitchen re-build.

The Machine sits next to a tall freezer, I'll look at making a stand for the dryer which sits on top and I can use this to box in the open side.

Once again thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on

Blues

Hard to think in 2010 we still can't get this stuff correct.

It's hard to think that some folk can still put water pipes in an area that may drop to below the freezing point of water and still expect it to remain liquid.... What did you do in your Physics lessons at school?

Corgi,
Thanks for the help I'll remember not to ask you for anything.

Didn't father Christmas give you the present you wanted?

Blues?

No.. He gave me everything I wanted thanks....... A couple of days off from defrosting pipework placed there by people who have no idea that water freezes. It does today and it did ten thousand years ago so I fail to understand why it comes as such a surprise to some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back