washing machine in-line valve broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
due to the cold weather the pipes to my washing machine (which is in utility room attatched to house but unheated) froze - have thawed them out ok but it seems the cold water inline valve has broken?
Even in the off position the water gushes out - have hooked it back up to washing machine but that cuts out mid-program
anyway question is could turning the inline valve off when it might have been frozen cause it to break.
I am going to have to replace the valve, im guessing it is a compression joint and i will need one with a check valve as it connected to the water main?

Sponsored Links
More likely to be the blue plastic lever broken where it fixes onto the valve I would think - but replace the valve with like for like or preferably with a check valve.
John :)

could turning the inline valve off when it might have been frozen cause it to break.
poss they are only cheap.

I am going to have to replace the valve, im guessing it is a compression joint and i will need one with a check valve as it connected to the water main?

15mm compression fitting.

Sponsored Links
in the end i couldnt actually get the old valve off so i just swapped the blue lever on the top and that sorted it :D

thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back