Using washing machine valves as drain valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning
I'm getting on with the plumbing in the kitchen and utility today.

I've removed some uneeded pipe in the utility room and now only require hot and cold water, and a cold feed for the washing machine.

The hot water to the sink is a circulating system.

I want to put drain valves into the system and was last night discovering the differences between type A and type B.

I'm off to Screwfix this morning but suddenly toyed with the idea of using washing machine valves rather than drain cocks. Much easier to screw on a washing machine hose and drain this way.

Any reason not to?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Any reason not to?

No, they're ball valves, but you'd do better to fit a good quality lock-shield ball valve with a hose fitting on the outlet. The washing machine valves might not be rated for the temperatures and they're usually poor quality. Many M&E consultants now specificy ball valves and no longer use the A or B type drain cocks. You get a better flow through a full-bore valve for flushing.

Try these:
13180.gif

http://www.bes.co.uk
products 13180

Sponsored Links
Now then, Mr 'Erriott,

You could use washing machine taps. I would screw a 3/4 BSP brass cap and washer on to each one. Buy good quality ones, as cheapies may leak at the spindle gland, or stick.

Thanks for the responses

Slightly confused now.

If I'm correct, you're saying that ball valves are ok to use in principle but that washing machine valves may not be very good quality.

What type of valves are the type A and B?

And are washing machine valves not full bore?

The ones on BES look good - they're rated half inch - will they be ok with 15mm copper pipe?

Thanks

Steve

If I'm correct, you're saying that ball valves are ok to use in principle but that washing machine valves may not be very good quality.

yes

What type of valves are the type A and B?
View media item 14822
one has a gland seal (as above) one does not

And are washing machine valves not full bore?
no

The ones on BES look good - they're rated half inch - will they be ok with 15mm copper pipe?

yes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back