Washing machine remote from a drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would be nice to fit a washing machine at the far end of a kitchen as it eases the design . The problem is that the drain is 20 foot away at the window end. A 22mm plastic pipe can be run from the remote washing machine position to the drain pipe. As the washing machine pumps the drain water out I don't see a problem here. A non-return valve can be fitted in the 22m drain. The 22mm pipe would be running down all the way. A good point is that mains water could be attached to a 22mm drain and used to flush out the drain if blocked - not permanently connected of course.

Anyone see a problem here? I haven't looked at any regs yet.

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Listen.... carefully.... tumbleweed!
What does that tell you hard work?
Why ask when you obviously know better!

I sometimes wonder why people bother to ask for advice on here.
I do know that some members are willing to help, though.

Can you name him?
I honestly think they don't know.

By the OP saying they have not read the regs YET!. That would suggest they are aware that regulations exist. They are easily accessible online, once read and understood they can then make an informed decision from that and gain some useful knowledge, that will help them in other projects they may undertake in the future.

As the saying goes "Give a man a fish"

Is that not a sensible approach?

We are talkng about a 6m run of waste here and the pipe size being decreased to 22mm and the washing machine pump being relied upon to pump over that distance.
We have no information about fall or venting.
The OP asked if this could/would be problematic, the answer is certainly not no, then was given advised to read the regulations. I consider that helpful.
May not be the answer the OP wanted, but to go on and imply my reply was not sensible, well the man is surely a foolish one.

The OP asked if this could/would be problematic, the answer is certainly not no, then was given advised to read the regulations. I consider that helpful.
May not be the answer the OP wanted, but to go on and imply my reply was not sensible, well the man is surely a foolish one.

There's nothing in the regulations regarding a modification to the appliance. If he was planning to use a WM trap into 22mm then obviously that would not be suitable.

I understood the OP is planning to extend the WM discharge hose with 22mm pipe before discharging into the household waste with the proper termination in which case it's not a water regulation they're looking for it's whether the WM will tolerate the additional pressure when pumping.

To be honest the washing machine manual will be more useful than the regs, normally there's some limitation of distance you can extern the hose and it has to go to a certain height range. I'd not do it, but of expect if you make the height early and have a fall after it would be OK, the main risk would be self syphoning. Just make sure also to use the proper wm hose not something narrower.

Thanks. I was looking at 22mm pipe from the washing machine and all running down using only bends, no elbows. Preferably all one length of plastic pipe, or even copper. Then a non-return valve at the stack at the far end. A vented trap at the stack could be fitted at a pinch. The washing machine drain pump obviously has to be man enough, but it is all going downhill. The only restriction would be the non-return valve - it would be much less restriction using a vented trap. All would be sealed with no air vent on the line: the washing machine hose to the 22mm pipe, the the 22mm pipe to the non-return valve.

I can't see it braking any water regs. Yes, the washing manual should be the most helpful document.

Last edited:
You'll need an air break at the drain end, and 22mm sounds very tight.
You're basically going into territory of designing your own system contrary to normal practice. The pump on your washing machine is not tested for that and could error or burn out due to high pressure. Or it could fail a seal and leak.
In the end you may well get away with it, but make sure you have a contingency plan if it fails to work at any time in future.

It has to be 22mm to be behind plasterboard. Why would it need an air break at the drain? I see non-return valves in many washing machines feeding into a stack. It is a flat and having air breaks means if the stack is blocked upstairs water can enter your flat. Not having have air breaks. Any reason why?

I'm not going to debate it in great detail, you'll have to make your own mind up in the end. But personally I'd go for function over form. I'd be more likely to drop the ceiling 4 inches than try to run a waste through a 22mm pipe behind plasterboard. Good luck(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back