Help - Washing machine connection - plumbing cock up :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We moved into our house to find the cold water feed point to our washing machine in an almost impossible position to connect a new pipe, not only this but the plastic handle to the valve had broken off.

I hacksawed off the old valve and put a push- fit flexible pipe with what I thought at the time was the right diameter thread to connect the washing machine hose - but it isn't - its too small - around 18 mil

washingmachineconnection.jpg

Does anyone know of a connector or adaptor that will fit to this to connect to a washing machine hose ?

thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you can't simply replace the flexi now due to the nature of the pushfit fitting I see in the background), the simplest solution would be to use a bit of 15mm pipe into that compression end and join the end of this small new length onto another washing machine valve.

You've got that valve the wrong way around! the arrow on the valve suggest which way the water should flow.

You need to get a flexi with a 1/2" screw end instead of a 3/4" thread that you are using and fit it to the other end.

Fat end connects to washing machine, thin end to the mains.

hope this helps

AH.

You got the valve the wrong way round, the small end goes on the pipe, and the big end connects to the w/m hose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

I'll have a look down the shops for the right bits, assuming I can't remove the valve (as this ishow it cam in the flexi-pipe) will the 1/2" flexi fit onto this as it is ? and are there flexis available that will have a washing machine attachment end ?

OK - I think you've had enough of a kicking on this one. Now to the problem...
You can get 3/4" to 1/2" threaded reducers that will allow you to adapt your tap to take a W/M hose. I've done similar with a kitchen sink to make it easier to move away from the wall when plastering. Probably easiest to epoxy the bush on to the tap (stand back from howls of purists). PTFE is a bit slippy, but hemp and boss white would work.

Thanks guys

I'll have a look down the shops for the right bits, assuming I can't remove the valve (as this ishow it cam in the flexi-pipe) will the 1/2" flexi fit onto this as it is ? and are there flexis available that will have a washing machine attachment end ?

Easy thing to do from this situation is buy a 1/2" to pushfit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73094/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Flexi-15mm-PF-x-1-2-10mm-Bore-300mm

and turn the existing valve around or

buy a 1/2" to 1/2" flexi

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66800/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Flexi-Hose-1-2-x-1-2-x-300mm-BX10FPFP30S

attach this to the current valve and then add another washer valve to this the right way around!

AH.

The easiest road to go if you can locate one will be a 3/4" x 15mm brass stem adapter, that fits straight into the valve, and leaves a 3/4 thread.

A Yorkshire YP3 L1 would do but you'll need a short length of tube.

Give BSS, PTS, and a few of the plumbers merchants a call.

BSS swindon used to have them on the shelf.

Right then

I've just been to B&Q and found this

reducer.jpg

which if I'm not mistaken will reduce the thread as doitall suggests, allowing me to turn the valve around and fit the washing machine hose on correctly....

Thanks for your input guys - I'll report back shortly with the result... :eek:

Well the adaptor didn't work, it didn't screw deep enough into the push fit 3/4" fitting to create a seal, so I toddled off to ScrewFix to get a 1/2" to 1/2" flexi and another valve as suggested by AdamsHeating, and now all connected

fixed.jpg

result - success !!!

Wife is now loading up the washing machine and I'm relaxing with a cuppa

thanks again fellas :)

J

Yeah, but it`s got 2 chances for isolation now :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back