NEW WASHING MACHINE CAUSES VERY LOUD BANGING FROM BOILER!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just connected a new washing machine up; it has hot and cold inlet pipes that I have connected to a single water-pipe using a 'Y'-connector.

While the washing machine was running I turned the central heating on- a couple of minutes later the boiler (or possibly the pipes leading into it....?) -started making an extremely load banging noise (much louder then the washing machine that was on full spin!!)...

-i turned off the boiler and ran next door fully expecting the bloody thing to blow up!!

-any ideas as to what caused it?
-is it safe to turn the boiler back on?
-do I just avoid running both at the same time?

(The copper-pipe that the washing machine's hose connects to has another pipe connected to it via a (metal) flexible hose(?). This has a valve that is set to open... -not sure whether I turned it on or off (-is it supposed to be on or not?!?).

The pipes that the washingmachine is connected to, are located a foot or two below the boiler.....

Please note: my understanding of all things plumbing is very limited!! -thanks

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does the metal hose look anything like these?

http://www.altecnic.co.uk/Sealed System Components/filling_loops.aspx

if it does switch it off and check the pressure on the boiler

-Yes (middle left one with 2 cut-off valves). when you say 'switch it off' you mean the valves on the hose...? -i've done this, the pressure needle has remained near it's red line...

-while the boiler was going crazy the pressure needle was jumping from about 2 bar to 2.5 bar (its currently on 3 -goes up to 4....)....??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cool, thanks picasso, ... seems to be ok,

-is it ok to use the washingmachine still/ at the same time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes its ok to use the w/machine and put your glasses on, the last reply was from kevplumb ;)

Sponsored Links