NEW WASHING MACHINE CAUSES VERY LOUD BANGING FROM BOILER!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just connected a new washing machine up; it has hot and cold inlet pipes that I have connected to a single water-pipe using a 'Y'-connector.

While the washing machine was running I turned the central heating on- a couple of minutes later the boiler (or possibly the pipes leading into it....?) -started making an extremely load banging noise (much louder then the washing machine that was on full spin!!)...

-i turned off the boiler and ran next door fully expecting the bloody thing to blow up!!

-any ideas as to what caused it?
-is it safe to turn the boiler back on?
-do I just avoid running both at the same time?

(The copper-pipe that the washing machine's hose connects to has another pipe connected to it via a (metal) flexible hose(?). This has a valve that is set to open... -not sure whether I turned it on or off (-is it supposed to be on or not?!?).

The pipes that the washingmachine is connected to, are located a foot or two below the boiler.....

Please note: my understanding of all things plumbing is very limited!! -thanks

Sponsored Links
does the metal hose look anything like these?

http://www.altecnic.co.uk/Sealed System Components/filling_loops.aspx

if it does switch it off and check the pressure on the boiler

-Yes (middle left one with 2 cut-off valves). when you say 'switch it off' you mean the valves on the hose...? -i've done this, the pressure needle has remained near it's red line...

-while the boiler was going crazy the pressure needle was jumping from about 2 bar to 2.5 bar (its currently on 3 -goes up to 4....)....??

Sponsored Links
cool, thanks picasso, ... seems to be ok,

-is it ok to use the washingmachine still/ at the same time?

yes its ok to use the w/machine and put your glasses on, the last reply was from kevplumb ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back