A quick silly question…..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
…..If you were building another floor of flats on top of this block, would you refer to it as the third floor or the fourth floor?

IMG_5381.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Third floor. In the UK the ground floor is always refereed to as ground, then first, second, third etc beyond that. Of course there may be some slight variations, where the 'ground level' may be split due to the local ground levels but then you might have say 'lower ground' & 'upper ground' for instance. But in this example there are no such variables.

The US call the ground floor the first floor but they're stupid.

Last edited:
Third floor. In the UK the ground floor is always refereed to as ground, then first, second, third etc beyond that. Of course there may be some slight variations, where the 'ground level' may be split due to the local ground levels but then you might have say 'lower ground' & 'upper ground' for instance. But in this example there are no such variables.

The US called the ground floor the first floor but they're stupid.
I agree and, worse, they tend to mangle the English language. Either that, or they're very poor spellers!

I agree and, worse, they tend to mangle the English language. Either that, or they're very poor spellers!
I’m going to have to mark you down for that post for the overuse of commas! ;)

Sponsored Links
It would be the third floor, but the block would become four stories

I’m going to have to mark you down for that post for the overuse of commas! ;)
I suppose my English is rather 18th Century, probably because I read M R James ghost stories.
When I read some modern publications, I sometimes end up with a head full of criticisms of their language to the extent that I have forgotten what they're talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back