A rant from footprints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse me I just must have a rant looking out the window as the cars go by splashing like the log ride at an amusement park!

I’m not convinced about the explanation of flooding in the UK. OK we have had heavy rain but I can remember it peeing down in the 60’s & 70’s but the drains coped.
Quite interesting that the figures we are quoted when the drastic rises in rainfall from the met office only go back to the early 1900’s, a time in fact when rainfall dropped for a while. Go back to the 1700’s a mere instant in time globally and we have often had high rainfall.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/01/...e-report-the-met-office-should-have-produced/

I’m sure it’s overpopulation leading to more and more houses and supporting infrastructure being built. My own road was developed from a country lane in the 1930’s and at a guess that’s when the sewers were updated to cope with the load. Since then loads of new homes have been built, existing two beds extended into four or five, front gardens paved, patios added. We all use far more water now almost every home has a washing machine many a dishwasher we all shower or bath far more frequently.

Other factors are such as our local council, that “improved” the drainage on their sports ground, the pitches used to have standing water for days, now it runs into the stream and sewer in minutes and contributes to flooding.

Does this sink in with planners, no the council is desperate to permit planning on any bit of land so they can get a pat on the head and a handout from central government.

Well I do feel a little better now, but not much. Anyone got anything to add?

Sponsored Links
The sheer idiocy of building thousands of properties upon known flood plains. Boils my **** :evil:

The other main reason for flooding is the lack of dredging the rivers. Before the NRA was merged into the Environment Agency wherever you travelled you would most times see an excavator with a dredging bucket working. Now the Environment Agency state that they do not dredge rivers. A kindergarten kid could tell them that a foot of silt in the bottom of a river means the water a foot higher at the top.

It's all to do with global warming,the rain is wetter and the rain drops are bigger. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
It's all to do with global warming,the rain is wetter and the rain drops are bigger. :mrgreen:

Maybe that's the answer the EU have standardised them and now they are sized in metric !

What is flood plain today probably wasn't 50 years ago.
Urban sprawl plays a big part as does modern farming methods.

I thought it was all the arctic and antarctic ice melting. It's got to go somewhere.
I reckon that the EU are somehow diverting all the water to the British mainland.

I reckon that the EU are somehow diverting all the water to the British mainland.

So that's why they call it the Channel tunnel :LOL:
It's always been my view that instead of spending all that dosh "joining" the UK with France, it would have been far wiser to slice off parts of the east coast and dump it on the west coast; thus (in effect) moving us further away :) ;)

So that's why they call it the Channel tunnel :LOL:
It's always been my view that instead of spending all that dosh "joining" the UK with France, it would have been far wiser to slice off parts of the east coast and dump it on the west coast; thus (in effect) moving us further away :) ;)

Or quite simply just pull up the anchor and float away to the mid-Atlantic. Somewhere just past the Canary Islands would be nice.

Still wont stop the hosepipe bans when the sun comes back out. :unsure:

our local reservoir since it was built in the 70s has never been dredged if it was they reckon we wouldnt have any bans.

we had a build up a few weeks ago in the drains as we are on the coast there were high tides.

Maintenance programs always seem to be an easy target for governments, companies, councils etc. Trouble is that be making cuts is only fool's gold since it inevitably costs more in the long run.

our local reservoir since it was built in the 70s has never been dredged if it was they reckon we wouldnt have any bans.

And it would be cheaper than trying to build more reservoirs.

Just spoke to my wifes cousin, she was complaining that in Suffolk they don't dig out the ditches any more, so when it rains it comes straight off the fields onto the road.

Now that's just the simple brain dead work layabouts and scroungers could be made to do without any NVQ training qualifications required!

Just spoke to my wifes cousin, she was complaining that in Suffolk they don't dig out the ditches any more, so when it rains it comes straight off the fields onto the road.

Now that's just the simple brain dead work layabouts and scroungers could be made to do without any NVQ training qualifications required!

But what about their 'human rights'? Won't somebody please think about the poor layabouts and scroungers?

Sponsored Links
Back