Are people blind??? (Drivers Rant)

I am always amazed by how people claim it was the fault of the vehicle in front stopping that made them hit it. As Oilman and JohnD have pointed out, there is such a thing as safe distance. Of course we all get distracted, we all make mistakes when driving, the trick is to recognise it and correct it before it becomes an accident, and if it does, have the balls to put your hands up and admit responsibility..it's an accident, not murder for christs sake.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Here we are

20 mph stopping distance 12 metres (3 car lengths) including thinking time.

but 30mph 23 metres

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#105[/QUOTE]

stopping distances are a load of *******s.

all cars are different, all roads are different and all drivers have different reaction times.

a car two ahead of me slammed his brakes on to "avoid" an oncoming car when in fact all he had to do was use the 6 feet to his left that was available to safely pass the oncoming car. wet road. all doing 30ish. saxo in front with no abs and 5 people in slides right in the back of the first car. i barely managed to stop but my abs stopped me sliding too far and i made it with 7 feet to spare. no one in my opinion was going to fast or too close for the conditions. the saxo simply wasnt equipped to stop that quick. granted he should have known that....bet he does now.

interestingly this was a year ago and it still hasnt been settled by the saxo drivers insurance. the claims assessor came to my house last week as i claimed the braking car was at fault and not the saxo. looks like the saxo might get lucky.

the woman in the braking car was a mouthy fat cow so ill not be too cut up if she loses out.

Stulz said:
It's about time a rear end was instantly prosecutable with 3 points and a £500 fine.

I'm sure if we have any antipodean members here they can confirm or deny, but I believe that in New Zealand it is called "failing to stop short" and is an endorsable offence.

I was in the back of a stationary car (waiting to turn right on a straight section of road) that was rear ended at 30+mph without even the slightest hint of brake/tyre squeal which would suggest to me that the other car had made no attempt to stop.
First thing the other driver said to my friends girlfriend was "you weren't indicating" to which I countered "she was, you probably weren't looking out of your windscreen". She soon shut up.

Stopping distances aren't an exact science, it is much better to travel at a speed and distance that allows you to stop safely withing the distance you can see to be clear (Thermo will like that one :LOL: ).

Sponsored Links
Back