Annoying Driving Habits...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, after reading through the badge snob thread, I thought I'd share a few of my pet driving hates.

Not necessarily in any order, but these are the ones I seem to be experiencing a lot of at the mo...

1 - People who don't pull over to the far right of the lane when waiting to turn right, so that people can't pass on the inside. So everyone has to sit behind as they wait for a written invitation to pull away (cos they can't judge speed and pull away during a suitable gap in oncoming traffic).

2 - People who are unaware of traffic around them (see No1 above) that will sit in a queue of traffic and not leave a gap at a junction so other people can turn off (has no effect on them!)

3 - Again this links to No1, but people who can't judge speed of traffic, so will wait at a junction untill no cars are visable before pulling away, when several safe gaps in the traffic have passed.

4 - When you are at a T junction waiting to pull out, and a car is approaching from the right, right at the last minute, they then turn left without indicating (the awareness thing!)

5 - Single speed drivers... Yes they will drive at the same speed, where ever. Wide open stretch of dry road, 30 Mph... Past a school at 9am in the rain, 30 Mph. But THEY are driving at the speed limit, so YOU are in the wrong... You see this on the motorway a lot when there is fog, now I tend to drive a little faster than the speed limit, but will only drive as fast as I can see! Now picture this scenario, you overtake a car (travelling at 70) in good visability, when slightly further on, the vis deteriates so adjust speed accordingly, soon after, the car you just overtook, flies past doing 70 Mph still, visability returns, overtake said car... you get the picture!

6 - Drivers that pull up behind you when you are trying to parallel park. Especially when you stop parallel to the space first, then edge forward.

7 - Oncoming drivers that stop after you have indicated to them priority through a narrowing.

8 - People that can't judge the width of their own vehicle.

9 - Buses that will pull out on you even if there is nothing behind you, so you are forced to travel at their speed.

10 - Buses that stop to drop off/collect passengers in locations where no-one can pass, even tho a few feet further and no obstruction is caused.

11 - Tractors that travel at rush hour and then don't pull over every now and then to reduce the back-up of traffic behind.

12 - Usually in country lanes - People that refuse to reverse when it is obviously much easier for them too (you have four cars behind you and they have just passed a passing point!).

13 - Daudlers that insist on pulling into the outside lane, then pulling away slower than traffic on the inside lane... :evil:

14 - Drivers who don't know left from right... (mini roundabouts!)

15 - People who get into their parked car, see you indicating to park in the space they are occupying then, just sit there... when they could quite easily just shake their head to indicate they are not ready to leave, but oh no...

16a - The I'm not letting you pull in mentallity.

16b - I'm going to force myself past as many cars as possible mentallity.

17 - Lane hoggers, nuff said!

18 - Incorrect use of lighting.

19 - People who accelerate when you overtake, then drive up your chuff, even though they've driving at a snails pace for the last 5 miles...

20 - Lane wanderers...

21 - People who pull into that nice 'safe gap' distance you've been keeping.

22 - Teenage boys in Vauxhall Nova's who insist on sharing their love of 'music?' within a 12 Km radius... Dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof, dooof.

23 - Truck drivers who pull up 12,000th of an inch from your bumper.

24 - ALL taxi drivers, who are pig ignorrant and feel they have a God given right to do whatever they please... EG. Pull up in the middle of the road and unload grandma and her shopping etc. even tho there is a parking space!!!! :evil:

25 - Motobikes that sit right on your Rrr's, even when you pull over to give them room to pass.

That's enuff for now! To finish on a good note...

I really enjoy it when driving on a long journey and you pick up another driver with the same driving values as yourself, a sort of unspoken comradeship!

Sponsored Links
26- caravans and trailers without proper lights or hogging nice A roads in obviously underpowered towing cars.

27 No 26 followed closley byanother 26, then they get to the dual carriage way & draw alongside each other.

i really hate people that approach traffic lights & stop 20 yds away then slowly edge forward to the lights.
i must be physcic coz everyone naturally assumes that without them indicating i know where they were going,especialling roundabouts coz i wait to go straight on & mr/mrs dickhead just turn left :mad: without indicating.
bmw & mercedes should fit indicators to there cars as STANDARD. :LOL:
people who park opposite a car already parked opposite it on a narrow road (not ahead or behind,just opposite to p*** everyone off)
i had a really crappy astra given to me so i taxed/insuered it & went about my normal way waiting to be cut up/tail gated/blocked in @ car parks etc..... this was not the case as when i got in my normal car (which i take care of i.e. park not too close to other cars /be considerate to other road users etc...)they seem to come out of the woodwork & battle begins :rolleyes:
so anyone thinking of getting a 2nd car not as good as there family car think again you WILL NOT be cut up, you WILL NOT have any near misses,
and your car WILL be where you left it even if you park it at right angles/take up 2 parking spaces. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Blimey, that's a long list! I agree with most of these too.

The single speed driver I usually encounter drives at 45, not 30. So you pass them on a dual carriageway, then when you get to the 30 limit they catch you up and sit on your a**e. And sometimes overtake.

18a) Those who drive with foglights on when it isn't foggy
18b) Those who think "oooh, it's a bit dull, I'll turn on the sidelights!". Hint: The highway code calls them PARKING LIGHTS! Use your headlights, we can actually see them! :rolleyes:
18c) Why is it always grey/silver cars that refuse to put their lights on when it is raining? They are the hardest cars to see!

26) People who gesture and wave in your rearview mirror because you have the audacity to drive right on the speed limit... No, a 30 limit doesn't mean you can drive at 40!

27) People who can't seem to modulate their throttle on a motorway. Their speed drops on the way up a hill, so you are passing them, then they accelerate on the way back down.

28) Those who try to "straightline" a roundabout to avoid slowing down or turning their steering wheel, generally whilst I am going round it too!

29) Those who hammer up to roundabouts, so you think "Better not go or I'll get a car-shaped dent in the side of my car", then brake really hard ONTO the roundabout and go slowly round it. What, are you that desperate to go first?

30) Another country lane one: people who drive at speeds way beyond their level of skill and visibility.
30a) People who are driving too fast for their level of skill on narrow country lanes who refuse to slow down and move OFF the crown of the road when cars come the other way.

31) People who accelerate so slowly they seem to be pulling away in 5th gear, take a mile to reach the, let's say 40mph speed limit. But then carry on accelerating to 50 or 60. Come on numbnuts, if you accelerated normally then you would get there just as quick and wouldn't risk a speeding ticket!

31) People who accelerate so slowly they seem to be pulling away in 5th gear, take a mile to reach the, let's say 40mph speed limit. I always think these ppl have blisters on soles of feet.!!!

32- people on the phone

32A- even worse, writing as well

33- people readings maps/books/ papers etc. someone once overtook me whilst doing a crossword.

34- women combing hair or putting on make-up

34A-men using a shaver.

People that, once overtaken, are fortunate enough to catch the next set of lights on green, so overtake you again while you are pulling away, then they continue to daudle holding you up. They know it's going to happen, otherwise you wouldn't have overtaken them in the first place.

Waiting to pull right out of a T-junction, a car approaches from your left wanting to turn right into the road you are waiting on. Do they let you go first and make things easy? No, they stop right in front of you, wait for a safe gap and then cut the corner as well.

People who park their cars at the car-wash entrance and then walk to the till to buy a token and saunter back to their car where a queue has formed made up of angry people who have already bought their tokens to be considerate.

Drivers of very large vans who think it's perfectly acceptable to park diagnally across three spaces of the supermarket car park.

Drivers who have perfected the habit of entering multi-storey car parks and stopping at the top of every ramp even when there is no need to.

Also people who stop at the car park exit barrier and then realise they haven't paid. "Hello, my ticket won't work..."

The practice of 'hovering' when approaching traffic lights. The hoverer will be in the second lane of two, hedging their bets that someone in their lane will be turning right and waiting to swoop into the space that doesn't exist in front of your car.

People that pull out in front of you when they shouldn't, realise their mistake, so STOP right across your path.

Oh and people that open the door without looking.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
9 - Buses that will pull out on you even if there is nothing behind you, so you are forced to travel at their speed
Every time I finish my nightshift, I'm stuck behind a bus doing 15mph on a 40mph limit because the driver mustn't get to the next bus stop too early. :mad:

35, Why do motorbike have full main beam headlight to blind you in the opposite direction ?

36- Disabled peoples scooters.

How come they use the road now instead of the footpath?

Drivers who get wound up easily, over SFA.
Stop trying to find fun where there isn't any ...... probably no wide open road beyond the next HGV ... just more of the same !!

Perhaps we should have an on-board computer, monitoring our driving, 'fining' us by reducing an 'allowed next month's mileage quota' at each transgression of the more measurable parts of the highway code .....

Words to think on when driving :- tolerance, patience, endurance, forbearance, allowance, sufferance, wait ........ Insurance !!

He ducks and scuttles orf !!

Don't think anyones being so serious as to carry a shotgun or such.

I thought it was just a bit of fun.

It was a bit of fun !! I tried to load the gun then 'scuttle orf' :D :D No one's pulling the trigger ... yet !

Sponsored Links
Back