Acceleration ticket?

179: You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary.
Law CUR reg 106

Guess who decides the 'necessary' part ? Yep ! Boyz in blue, is who .... If they stop you.
;)

Sponsored Links
It is common knowledge that many diesel engines can be made to run backwards by push-starting in reverse gear. However, I have also heard that it is true of the Reliant Robin, the legend is that one man made a lucrative bet with friends that this could be done, and was issued a speeding ticket whilst driving backwards.

Perhaps the copper Simon met was the one who issued this ticket :D

However, I would suggest that the policeman in question should think more thoroughly: The law would seem to make red lights at the rear of a vehicle mandatory, which of course a car driving in reverse does not have. However, the headlights would not dazzle the traffic behind, unless they pulled out to overtake. Assuming that you were driving on 30mph roads the whole way home, this should not have been an issue as reverse gear is a slightly higher gear than first, and most cars will do 30 in reverse. Thus giving no reason to overtake. Traffic travelling in the opposite direction wouldn't have a problem, any more than overtaking cars dazzle you on a motorway (the lightsource is behind, you are less likely to find it a problem).

You would probably even find your speedo works in reverse too: modern cars count revolutions from sensors in the hub (mine uses ABS sensors in both wheels: if you disconnect one sensor the speedo stops working).

All academic ... see Law CUR reg 106

reverse too far in eyes of plod and you could be done .. never mind driving anywhere, passenger in the old Non-white Mariah perhaps !! :D :D :D :D

I once worked with a bloke who thought he did well to get to Weston-Super-Mare in three hours. Most people who obeyed the speed limifs ( which I obviously do !) can do it in 80 minutes from here.
The best crack was one week he didn't turn up on Monday for work. When he phoned in he said he'd been in an R.T.A. He'd been rammed from behind by an electric milk float !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
I once worked with a bloke who thought he did well to get to Weston-Super-Mare in three hours. Most people who obeyed the speed limifs ( which I obviously do !) can do it in 80 minutes from here............

From Bristol ? :D :D :D :D

AdamW said:
However, I would suggest that the policeman in question should think more thoroughly:

I would politely advise you, that if stopped by the police in future, you refrain from suggesting that the officer in question "thinks more thoroughly" :LOL: :eek:

i have to admit that i usually pull away faster than most other drivers. i.e i can be first to pull away from traffic lights and be a large distance ahead of the car behind, without speeding. you should be able to do 0-speed limit as fast as you want (thats if you can safely get to the speed limit) without risk of bein pulled. your not speeding.

at times i can even pull away faster than 'fast' cars. even better when they want to pull out and get into your lane before they get stuck behind a truck or summit in their lane. often it doesnt work. the other day there was some idiot doin over 60 in a 50 zone tryin to get ahead.... 2 miles down the road it was in the R/H lane lane slowly overtakin... he wanted to be out but i took my time passing.... well thats what he got for sticking his fingers up at me earlier!

It is often tempting, but the problem with this rears it's head if the wazzock you are blocking from cutting in believes his indicators are like a shield of steel, then the resultant accident might be decided to be 50/50. Even though it is the other guy's fault, they might decide "Andrew could have braked to avoid a collision", or might even decide "Andrew put himself deliberately in the way of the other car"...

Accidents seem to be blamed on the providors of all contributing factors, not just the big mistake that causes the smash. I knew an idiot who got off with a 50/50 for a head-on collision where he was rounding a parked car on the wrong side of the road, on a blind corner, in excess of the speed limit. All because someone saw the other car was also travelling too quickly up to the corner. If she had kept to the speed limit he would have probably been given all the blame.

However, it is amazing how a stranger, who's opinion means naff all to you, can extend his middle finger and get you pretty angry if you are in the wrong mood that day. If a guy in the street did that to you as you walked to the shops, you probably wouldn't even break step let alone confront him. But, travelling at 90mph on a busy motorway, people are prepared to chase and sit 6 feet behind the gesturer whilst shouting at the gesturer's rearview mirror (here's a tip Merc-repman, I can't hear you :LOL: ). At the least the stress of doing this will ruin what should have been a pleasant drive for them, and at the worst can end up with a big smash with lots of dead people.

I've noticed the Skoda website says "*Where the law permits ", with regards to acceleration.

andrew2022 said:
he wanted to be out but i took my time passing....

Possibly one for Simon's list, I hate people who try to intimidate or flash you out of the way when you are driving at the same speed as everyone in front of you in that lane. Even if you move over and let him past, does he really think that EVERY car is going to do that for him? "Hey buddy, the motorway's full, we're not driving at 40 in the outside lane just because we like annoying you!" :LOL:

And if he wants to tailgate? Well, I bet a new back bumper for my car is cheaper than a new front bumper, radiator and headlights for his ;)

Sponsored Links
Back