Acceleration ticket?

I wonder, how many people who have claimed to be an "off duty policeman" really are. I mean, I bet that people have said it in an attempt to get the upper hand in a roadside argument. If you really are a policeman, you would be wise not to tell someone this as you go off on an antisocial tangent. Policemen are trained to be calm and keep control of situations, fuming is not this.

I mean, fuming at someone whilst telling them you are an off-duty policeman would be like saying "I'm an off duty accountant" whilst doing sums incorrectly. Or telling someone "I'm an off duty lollypop lady" whilst playing chicken on a main road.

Wonder what would have happened if you had said "Really? I don't recall seeing your face at the station, sunshine. Who's your superintendent?". If it turned out he was a policeman, no worries, but if he wasn't, I bet worried looks would have ensued and the situation calmed. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
In my Opel Rekord 2.0 Auto (79), I came across a tatty Capri which I beat through the junction. He overtook on a blind bend, slewed across the road and got out. "I'm an off-duty policeman" he said fuming.

"Who is pushing his weight around like a jumped-up p r i c k " I said calmly, before swerving round the C rapri and making for the horizon.....

Just for a second ......"And I am an on duty hit and run driver ... screeech, smack !! "

Or ".....for the horizon, then a wheel fell off !" ;)

P

Adam,

I have erm, utilised launch control in my car before and view of most coppers is, wreckless driving, or driving without due car and attention..

I dont think they like 4wd cars going sideways whilst setting off..

But fook em.. theres not a chance they have got anything with wheels to catch me :D

ps M3's etc are slow.. you need 0-60 in circa 3 secs and around 194mph top speed :D :D

David

Their chopper has several 'turbine wheels', bit less top speed ... but much higher averages ... takes shortcuts ;) Hopefully wrecklessly and not recklessly ;)

Sponsored Links
Did you see the episode of "Police Camera Stop" where the helicopter actually landed and apprehended a joyrider? The car had already been ditched, the guy was running but as soon as they plonked a helicopter down next to him he gave up. You should have seen the look on his face! :LOL:

With a 200mph supercar you could theoretically outrun a Police helicopter. Thing is, the only roads you could ever do that are motorways, so they would still know where you are. The Hatfield Tunnel on the A1 in Hertfordshire has had a car go through it at 190mph at least once, no helicopter would see you, but I doubt you could speed up and down from 70 to 190 and back in the 1-mile or so you are undercover.

I will keep you posted as to whether or not I get any acceleration tickets... not likely in a 1.6l Astra, but I know some big hills :LOL:

Conceded the speed ..... but chopper goes cross country ... no bends, junctions .. stingers better average speed generally etc with a wheelbarrow full of half bricks could be game over PDQ ;)

Choppers arent allowed near airports apparently..

Hatfield tunnel, that was the boss of the japanese tuning company top secret..

Mine not a super car either, just a subaru.

David

Yes, that's the one. Although that car was a Mitzy Evo, not that different to a Scooby in standard form.

Choppers aren't allowed near airports without clearance, but anyone who has ever tried to drive round Heathrow in a hurry will not choose it as a getaway route! The choppers can stand off a couple of miles in open countryside, not sure how that would work in a built-up area though!

I remember reading that in Finland, they base speeding fines on how much you earn as well as the speed. Avoids the issue where rich people aren't too bothered over a £60 fine. I think it is a great idea. Check this one out!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4233383/

€170,000 for doing 50mph in a 25mph zone!

dw3101 said:
Choppers arent allowed near airports apparently..

David

Fine, they'll have stand and watch you circulating 'til you run out of gas ... then .... ;)

:D

I live in leeds so dont have the chaos of heathrow, stanstead, gatwick etc..

David

Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002, enables officers to issue notices to drivers of vehicles who drive carelessly and inconsiderately, causing alarm, distress or annoyance to the public.

Anyone who is issued with a section 59 notice again in the next 12 months will have their vehicle seized by the police. It will cost an individual more than one hundred pounds to recover it, plus an additional daily fee and officers also have the power to have the vehicle destroyed.

No I`m not a rozzer :D

Adam

Have searched out this thread to answer one of your questions: As we were leaving a bar a short while ago, I joked with Mrs Secure about driving home backwards.

The guy behind us was a copper and he said the first of many observations he would make about it would be that without headlights (it was pitch black), I would fall foul of the law straight away. Not only would my path be unlit (save for reversing lights), but any traffic behind would be dazzled!

Ever noticed how coppers have had their sense of humours completely removed? He treated what I said as if were going to do it, not as if it were a joke.

Dunno, maybe he has seen someone driving home backwards.....

Sponsored Links
Back