Corsa - C (Loss of Drive )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst driving at a constant speed my Rev's suddenly go through the roof and the car sparts to slow down as if taken out of gear.This only appears to happen when the weather is very cold. I change to a different gear and bring the clutch up but there doesn't appear to be anything there to move the car. If you touch the accelerator the rev's go through the roof again. Only way to re-drive the car is to switch off and re-start the engine again. The car then drives ok. Vauxhall have checked for faults but none listed on log and they cannot get the car to do the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Is this a conventional manual gearbox? If so it sounds as though you are loosing drive to the wheels. The only thing I can possibly think of is that one of the drive shafts is disengaging from the gearbox, does it have a centre drive shaft bearing on the drivers side, if so it could be that it has failed.

I've never heard of a manual transmission car doing this...losing drive due to a collapsed CV joint, certainly - but as for switching off to find normal service resumed afterwards?? No.....
Suspect this is an automatic with an inaccurate description.
John :)

Hi John

I have had this happen with a Citroen XM, the bearing had fallen apart and the shaft was sliding in and out at will. I was recovered by the AA when I lost drive completely but when I got it on the ramp - that's what it was. I think cornering forces may have had an effect on engagement or otherwise, strangely no other symptoms.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi John

I have had this happen with a Citroen XM, the bearing had fallen apart and the shaft was sliding in and out at will. I was recovered by the AA when I lost drive completely but when I got it on the ramp - that's what it was. I think cornering forces may have had an effect on engagement or otherwise, strangely no other symptoms.

Peter
I too have experienced, intermittent lack of drive due to a faulty CV joint, this was on a Peugeot 405, it can happen.

Wotan

Good mornings Peter and Wotan
Yes, i too have experienced drive shaft failure in this way - once in a Pug 306 and once in a Honda Accord auto, so I realise it can happen.....if this is the case with the original post, then turning the ignition off and starting up again to resume drive stumps me!
Cheers John :)

Coincidence? or just that he has stopped and started again, that used to make mine work sometimes.

Back