Annoying Driving Habits...

Sponsored Links
Drivers who refuse to move (when completely safe to do so ) to the right hand lane when I am merging from a slip road :LOL:

I move over to make room, when it is possible/safe to do so, but no one trying to merge, should expect that. You are merging - you find a safe space to merge into, by adjusting your speed.

Sponsored Links
2 lanes available, signal on one lane indicating lane closure in 500 yards.
Drivers all queueing up on the open lane and getting upset if a good driver follows the rules, uses the empty lane and merges where lane is closed.
Even coppers don't know this rule.
I was stopped once and they wanted to report me for "impolite driving".
I laughed at them and wished them good luck in court where I would've produced my dashcam footage as evidence.
I never received anything about it.

2 lanes available, signal on one lane indicating lane closure in 500 yards.
Drivers all queueing up on the open lane and getting upset if a good driver follows the rules, uses the empty lane and merges where lane is closed.

Completely agree.

If it wasn't meant to be used, they'd have coned it off as well (y)

You're going to have to cross a broken white line, to join the carriageway.
Just another means of reminding you that you're subordinate to those already on that carriageway. (y)
When I am on the main carriageway I look at the person on the slip road and I judge their speed and then alter mine accordingly I may slightly slow down so that they can slot in front of me or speed up so they slot in behind me.
There are a couple of slip roads on my route where you cannot see them and they can suddenly appear and if there is no one behind me I move out into the right hand lane before I reach it.
Attitudes like "subordinate" is going to cause an accident. IMO

The problem with lane closures is that if you didn't get in the open one soon enough you will find yourself stuck as people will not let you in. And I think that is the main cause of people not making use of the lane rule.

The problem with lane closures is that if you didn't get in the open one soon enough you will find yourself stuck as people will not let you in. And I think that is the main cause of people not making use of the lane rule.
I force myself, knowing the highway code.
They must merge in turns and facilitate such manoeuvre.

Here we are 20 years after this thread was started and I'm sure the same things are annoying other drivers.

Just like drivers that drive with a broken headlight, not putting their headlights on 1/2 hour before dusk and drivers with multiple faulty rear lights- they annoyed me 30 years ago and still do today.

Nowt changes..

I move over to make room, when it is possible/safe to do so, but no one trying to merge, should expect that. You are merging - you find a safe space to merge into, by adjusting your speed.

We're quite lucky in UK as we have good long on ramps to motorways so plenty of opportunity to get some speed and merge when safe. In Europe their ramps are much shorter and to make matters worse some countries refuse to help you join by moving over, even when they have plenty of opportunity to do so. Makes for some very fraught times trying to join very busy EU motorways trying to get enough speed up and then finding an inpenetrable line of cars blocking you from leaving the short on ramp. Several times I have run out of ramp and ended up carrying on going forwards on the hard shoulder waiting for a gap to join. Reckon better to keep going and end up driving on hard shoulder than come to a stop which would be very difficult.

In Europe their ramps are much shorter and to make matters worse some countries refuse to help you join by moving over, even when they have plenty of opportunity to do so.

The ones in Germany I found to be the worst. The off ramps, like the on ramps were short, and often had a tight bend at the end, with little warning.

Sponsored Links
Back