Had a prang, who's to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You "undertook" as another indicated and made a left turn.

100% your fault.

Sponsored Links

100% your fault.

Point taken, but I didn't change my position in the road, or swerve to the left in order to pass him.
He had moved over to the right so far that I could've carried on in a straight line. As he had slowed right down, he should've checked his mirror before turning left. My initial thought was that he was turning right based on his position, then I saw the left indicator when I was almost parallel with him.

I don't feel that he gave a signal soon enough, or clear indication of his intentions.

Had I been a motorbike or cyclist and he'd made a left turn without checking the road was clear on the left, and the bike had gone into him, would the situation be any different?

You were going too fast to react quickly enough, once he indicated a left turn, any following traffic should have held back, what if his drive was a very acute reverse angle, and that road position he adopted was the only way to enter his drive.
The onus is always on the car behind to avoid a collision, you were not able to do this, so sorry whatever way you look at it you were wrong.

Wotan

H.code said:

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

where the road narrows
when approaching a school crossing patrol
between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down
at a level crossing
when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled
stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left
when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

An expensive oversight. You could claim to be 'making progress', but then again...

-0-

Sponsored Links
If you were following a car indicating to turn left,and he duly did so albeit slowly, how could he scrape your drivers side? unless you passed on the inside, which is wrong.

I'm still confused by this.
Why it's an easy enough concept, you do not pass on the inside of a vehicle turning left, or over take a vehicle turning right.

Wotan

Thanks for all comments, have contacted both insurance co's, both just said wait for paperwork and act accordingly.

On another note, am I legal to drive with just passenger side and internal rv mirror. Until I can obtain a new drivers side mirror?

Yes you are legally allowed to do that, as long as you have an unobstructed view to the rear, it should be ok.

Wotan

I don't feel that he gave a signal soon enough, or clear indication of his intentions.

Had I been a motorbike or cyclist and he'd made a left turn without checking the road was clear on the left, and the bike had gone into him, would the situation be any different?

I drive, ride motorcycles and bikes. I would not have done anything until he had commited to something. I would have been aware and slowed or stopped. Its called forward thinking.

Were you never taught, "never trust indicators?".

As before, you undertook another motorist signalling his intentions. If a policeman had been present you would have been charged with driving without due care and attention. A serious motoring charge.

I drive, ride motorcycles and bikes. I would not have done anything until he had committed to something. I would have been aware and slowed or stopped. Its called forward thinking.

Were you never taught, "never trust indicators?".

As before, you undertook another motorist signalling his intentions. If a policeman had been present you would have been charged with driving without due care and attention. A serious motoring charge.

To add, the "bike" would not have "gone into him" it would have been hit, as it UNDERTOOK, an illegal maneuver.

Not illegal to undertake , never has been, if he pulled out wide to take a left hand bend he was driving without due care and attentions, regardless of any indication. Had a motor cyclist been passing on his offside he would have had them off.If he left enough room for a vehicle to pass him on the near side he should have taken more care before turning [same applies had he been turning across a bus lane].I would say you are clear of any blame Deluks.

100% your fault.
Not so you can't overtake on nearside of a vehicle turning left unless there are two lanes [in which case you still have to give way to traffic on near side , as in Bus lane] or the vehicle turning is incorrectly positioned as in this case.

foxhole";p="2085343 said:
Not illegal to undertake , never has been

Haha, you try going whizzing past on the inside of a cop car on the motorway and see what happens mate...
It is illegal to undertake (and all the bikers that go up the middle in stationary traffic are also committing an offence in undertaking stationary traffic - although no one seems to do squat about it).
As far as this chap goes he is at fault I'm afraid - you shouldn't even overtake a vehicle turning left (even if the road is clear) you should slow down and wait for the vehicle to complete it's manoeuvre and therefore safe to pass.

Filtering on a motorbike is actually allowed. The thing that they do incorrectly is the speed they (we) do it at.
Check the highway code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back