Indicators: Who would be to blame?

nstreet said:
Here's one; car parked on your side of road, solid white lines down middle of road. Can you pass the parked car without comitting an offence?

Yes, of course, otherwise you would be stuck until the car moved!!

My ADI says that I can safely pass parked and slow-moving traffic on solid white lines without committing an offence.

Exactly what is "slow-moving", I'm not quite sure. <15mph?

Sponsored Links
Oh yes !!

107: Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White arrows on the road indicate when you need to get back onto your side of the road.

108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26
So copper on bicycle at 7 mph, middle of lane, bounded by solid double white lines .. is more likely to end up with tyre marks up his back than loads of registration marks in his book !!
:D :D :D :D

141: You MUST NOT overtake
&#61623; if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 108)

108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
[totalrage]I HATE that f'in amphibian.....[/totalrage]
No !! bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing .....bing, bing, bllinbbing-effing-bing ..... ;) :D :D :D

Sorry to take so long to reply - I've been busy flooding the loft :cry:
Right of way etc. Driver A and driver B are approaching each other from opposite directions on the same highway. There is a parked car on driver B's side of the road. Neither has right of way because they are on the same highway. Common sense suggests that driver B gives way to driver A, however.............................

Driver A is waiting to turn right from a major road onto a minor one. Driver B is waiting to turn right from the minor road onto the major road. Driver A has right of way. If both vehicles attempt to manouvre at the same time resulting in a collision, driver B is liable.

If you ask a room of 1000 motorists if they think they are an above average driver you wiull get 1000 afirmative replies. Where are all the average and below average drivers?

Right, off to mop up :oops: :oops: :oops:

And don't forget that left turning vehicles have right of way over right turning ones, unless road markings/signs say otherwise.

i heard some where that pedestrians have right of way when crossing 'b' roads.so if i turned of a main road into a side street and somebody was crossing then i would have to give way to them :confused: sounds a bit bonkers.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
i heard some where that pedestrians have right of way when crossing 'b' roads.so if i turned of a main road into a side street and somebody was crossing then i would have to give way to them :confused: sounds a bit bonkers.

Well, I suggest you never drive in The Netherlands then :D :D
You'll go bonkers! Whenever you turn of any road into any other road and a pedestrian (or push-biker) is crossing they have right of way.

There it is not only a rule, but something we do without thinking (I know pip, we normally don't think :) :( )

ferdinanddebargos said:
Sorry to take so long to reply - I've been busy flooding the loft :cry:
Right of way etc. Driver A and driver B are approaching each other from opposite directions on the same highway. There is a parked car on driver B's side of the road. Neither has right of way because they are on the same highway. Common sense suggests that driver B gives way to driver A, however.............................

Driver A is waiting to turn right from a major road onto a minor one. Driver B is waiting to turn right from the minor road onto the major road. Driver A has right of way. If both vehicles attempt to manouvre at the same time resulting in a collision, driver B is liable.

If you ask a room of 1000 motorists if they think they are an above average driver you wiull get 1000 afirmative replies. Where are all the average and below average drivers?

Right, off to mop up :oops: :oops: :oops:

I guess you actually mean in the first instance where there is no centre lineage. In the second where no-one has assigned PRIORITY due to lack of give way or halt signs / lines.
:?:

Here is a question ... when can one use a hand held mobile phone when in control of vehicle ?
;)

In the case of an emergency.

In all other cases, you either have to use a handsfree kit where the phone is fixed, or park up and switch the engine off.

Mobile phones and in-car technology
127: You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or when supervising a learner driver, except to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone while you are driving - find a safe place to stop first.
Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR regs 104 & 110

128: There is a danger of driver distraction being caused by in-vehicle systems such as route guidance and navigation systems, congestion warning systems, PCs, multi-media, etc. Do not operate, adjust or view any such system if it will distract your attention while you are driving; you MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. If necessary find a safe place to stop first.
Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR reg 104

Interesting ref. ...MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or when supervising a learner driver.. I wonder how many know the latter ?

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back