Indicators: Who would be to blame?

I think some one mentioned people not indicating as pet hate of theirs,I'd agree and also add to it people not acknowledging you when you let them out in a queue. OR when there is a parked car on their side of the road, and you stop to let them through, even though it is your right of way! Does no one have manners when they get behind the wheel of a car?!

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
and to those people who signal right when moving away from the side of the road - WHY??? nobodys going to stop and left you out are they??? just wait for a gap and go! (this is all what i was taught by an ADI aout a year ago).

My ADI tells me there is absolutely no need for me to indicate when pulling away so long as there is no one approaching from behind. If there is traffic behind you, you should not start indicating - just wait for a gap and indicate prior to joining the traffic flow.

Adam

Have known accidents occur where drivers on the main road have been signalling their intention to turn left, and others have pulled onto the main road and been hit by the vehicle indicating. In all these cases, the insurance companies found in favour of the driver with the right of way, despite the fact they were signalling an intention to change direction.

OMG - there are some situations where you can be over-zealous with the indicators, and as mentioned above, situations where it is now deemed unneccesary to use them. I too was like you. I indicated for everything, no matter if I was sharing the road or not. But I can see the new way of thinking. For example, as my IAM driving handbook says, there is no need to indicate every time you want to pull over to the crown of the road to overtake parked cars.

and to those people who signal right when moving away from the side of the road - WHY??? nobodys going to stop and left you out are they??? just wait for a gap and go! (this is all what i was taught by an ADI aout a year ago)

Hmm Thats an illegal manouvre!!. I have been wondering for some time why drivers seem to sit in their cars giving me s...ty looks as I drive past their seemingly parked cars, then burn rubber to tailgate me sigh. If I'd seen a right signal I would have let him out, as I do if it's safe. likewise I find drivers let me out if I'm signalling. Cant see the logic in sitting there fuming waiting for a gap when a simple flick of the wrist would let everyone know what you were doing (including pedestrians). Was that adi bloke scared of getting a flat battery :?:

I always indicate, and am always extra careful if I THINK the driver behind is allowing me out ... Perhaps tis suggested not to indicate, to obviate misreading the 'vehicle language' approaching from the rear ? Decent drivers make it pretty obvious when they are allowing you in front of them ... they just do not do so very often.
;)

Sponsored Links
sarah i couldnt agree more it ****es me of when you let someone through and they dont achnoledge you it ****es me off, it makes you think thats the last ****ing time but then you turn into one of them, so thats how it probably starts appart from the fact their ignorant ****s :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Simon, that answers my question then!

It can be hard to tell intentions from 'vehicle language', simply due to a great variety in driving styles. For instance, there are those who will approach a roundabout and slow right down to go onwards even though it is clear for miles. Then there are those who will maintain speed even when doing a u-turn round the roundabout.

It is important not to trust other drivers. On my street I had an oncoming driver frantically gesturing to me to pull over to my side of the road... Seeing as I was parking at the time, my left wheels were about 4 inches from the kerb, she was 3-feet from hers :LOL: If I had believed her, I would have ended up grinding my wheels and tyres.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
btw saw a mountain bike swerve in front of me the other day.
this is a suspension bike with disc brakes that could get up mount everest.
reason why he pulled out.
a puddle. :evil:
Aaah but puddles aren't for mountain bikes, they're for unthinking motorists to soak cyclists/ pedestrians ;)

Omy was doing 144.987 654 MPH at the time of course.
Mountain bikes in Norfolk ? Plain bikes would do, surely ?
:eek: :D

That reminds me of the secretary who got the sack because she couldn't spell Norfolk.......

AdamW said:
It is important not to trust other drivers. On my street I had an oncoming driver frantically gesturing to me to pull over to my side of the road... Seeing as I was parking at the time, my left wheels were about 4 inches from the kerb, she was 3-feet from hers :LOL: If I had believed her, I would have ended up grinding my wheels and tyres.

:D
Reminds me of the following:
Imagine a snowy normal town road. I'm driving carefully, on the right hand kerb are some parked cars, another driver approaches from the other side while I'm about to drive past these parked cars. I drive carefully on, other driver has to brake hard and bumpes softly against first parked car.
While I pass this car, driver furiously shouts that is my fault: I should have stopped and let him pass first !!!!

Sarah: When passing parked cars in a roadway, no-one has right of way. One of you may have priority but in the event of an accident it is likely you will be held equally responsible.

My brother is a police class 1 driver and he tells me that when there is no other traffic about they (police) do not indicate their intentions because it has no benefit to anyone.:cool:

ferdinanddebargos said:
When passing parked cars in a roadway, no-one has right of way. One of you may have priority but in the event of an accident it is likely you will be held equally responsible.

This is very strange? If cars are parked on the righthand side, obviously the 'route' for oncoming trafic is 'blocked', so drivers on that side of the road have to pass on to the other side of the road i.e. having to wait untill that other side is clear of traffic.

ferdinanddebargos said:
Sarah: When passing parked cars in a roadway, no-one has right of way. One of you may have priority but in the event of an accident it is likely you will be held equally responsible.
quote]

So whats the difference between right of way and priority. So if there is a parked car on my side of the road and I choose not to stop for the oncoming traffic and in doing so, the oncoming traffic has to stop thus causing s shunt in the other carriage way, thats perfectly ok??? :confused: Doesn't sound quite right to me. Always been taught that the oncoming traffic gives way, as your carriage way is free from obstruction and you have a clear path therefore right of way.

Here's one; car parked on your side of road, solid white lines down middle of road. Can you pass the parked car without comitting an offence?

ferdinanddebargos said:
when there is no other traffic about they (police) do not indicate their intentions because it has no benefit to anyone.:cool:

Except (arguably) pedestrians. Is this why there are so many police/pedestrian accidents?

Sponsored Links
Back