Had a prang, who's to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother is a traffic copper and he has a different view on that. It's on offence to undertake traffic stationary in both (or all) usable lanes regardless of the vehicle you are in.
He nicked a bloke for it a couple of month ago and the guy was dished 3 points and a £150 fine.

Sponsored Links
My brother is a traffic copper and he has a different view on that. It's on offence to undertake traffic stationary in both (or all) usable lanes regardless of the vehicle you are in.
He nicked a bloke for it a couple of month ago and the guy was dished 3 points and a £150 fine.

Highway code section 88
Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

Source http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069854

Your brother has an incorrect idea of the law then if he nicked the biker for filtering. On the other hand if the biker was doing 40mph filtering it might explain the fine.
Show him this and see what he has to say.

I really do not post facts without knowing them first.

Reminds me of when I were a lad. A policeman nicked me for overtaking within the zigzags of a pedestrian crossing, except I wasn't overtaking, I was passing stationary traffic, 'cos the traffic in front of them was also stationary. So they hadn't stopped to allow anyone to use the crossing.

The policeman did not understand the traffic laws.

Unfortunately, he also checked over the car and found a sidelight not working. Had it not been for the sidelight I could have claimed costs etc in court, 'cos it did go to court, so others also did not understand the traffic laws.

Sponsored Links
mate of mine had an identical incident = signalled left to get into his drive, has to go wide to do this due to narrow driveway and brick piers, and a fella undertook him = the result was in his favour.

but he had to engage a solicitor to get this result as his company wanted to settle for the other guy - it was just a commercial decision for them.

It is not an offense to undertake, in the sense of, if you are on a motorway and the traffic in the righthand lane is moving slowly or coming to a stop and your lane is not. This could be because the people in front of yo are turning off of the motorway at the slip road. You dont just stop and wait until the traffic in the lanes to the right of you start to move.

However, you should not undertake other road users.

In this case I would say the guy undertaking is in the wrong due to the fact that the otrher guy was indicating?

One question however, was the car which had pulled to the right, but indicated left still in the correct lane or was he essentially driving on the wrong side of the road?

It doesn't really matter because you were behind and should always be able to and be prepared to stop.

It doesn't really matter because you were behind and should always be able to and be prepared to stop.

Funny how this crops up in places is it not?

Haha, you try going whizzing past on the inside of a cop car on the motorway and see what happens mate...
It is illegal to undertake (and all the bikers that go up the middle in stationary traffic are also committing an offence in undertaking stationary traffic - although no one seems to do squat about it).
As far as this chap goes he is at fault I'm afraid - you shouldn't even overtake a vehicle turning left (even if the road is clear) you should slow down and wait for the vehicle to complete it's manoeuvre and therefore safe to pass.

Incorrect i'm afraid.

Think we have proved this already. And proven a copper to be wrong to if the highway code, which is law is to be followed to the letter :p

You "undertook" as another indicated and made a left turn.

100% your fault.

Had I been a motorbike or cyclist and he'd made a left turn without checking the road was clear on the left, and the bike had gone into him, would the situation be any different?
No - and it happened to my son on his bike :cry: Rule number 1 of the road - all other drivers are fools :!:

Think we have proved this already. And proven a copper to be wrong to if the highway code, which is law is to be followed to the letter :p

The Highway Code is not law though.

Actually most of it is, then a few recommendations;

The Highway Code is not law, but it does include many points of law (denoted by the word must in bold type). And failing to observe the code, while not in itself an offence, may be taken as evidence of 'driving without due care', a catch-all charge covering the many types of blithering stupidity perpetrated by road users.

It is illegal to undertake (and all the bikers that go up the middle in stationary traffic are also committing an offence in undertaking stationary traffic - although no one seems to do squat about it).
Utter *******s. It's illegal in the US but not over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back