Annoying Driving Habits...

The ones in Germany I found to be the worst. The off ramps, like the on ramps were short, and often had a tight bend at the end, with little warning.

Yes, I'm finding same in France at present. Not being used to their off ramps they do seem to have some very tight turns just as you exit motorway onto ramp. Suddenly have to lose a lot of speed quite quickly. Have to be careful as my van isn't exactly designed for tyre screeching cornering. Almost caught me out couple of times.

As for German autobahns, the most stressful motorway driving I've ever done. Most I drove on were only dual carriageways - slow lorries in right, warp factor nine turbo-nutters in Merc/BM/Audi in left lane. I was neither one nor other of these two classes of traffic, so spent most of the time, playing Frogger - constantly scanning my rear view to see if I had a brief chance to move to left lane to overtake a slow lorry before Mario Andretti suddenly apperared on my bumper filling my mirror. If you do get it wong after moving out and someone appears from nowhere at speed of light on your tail, they will sit there 12 inches from rear bumper as you overtake trying to almost push you to go faster.

Absolute nutters and saw the very nasty results of when all this speed goes very wrong over there - in the massive traffic jams, dozen emergency vehicles and piles of mangled wreckage. Absolute insanity and very stressful to drive on. Most sane motorways I've driven on were US freeways. Big roads, plenty of space and low speeds. Just put the Buick in cruise control an nod off. :cool: :giggle:

Sponsored Links
As for German autobahns, the most stressful motorway driving I've ever done. Most I drove on were only dual carriageways - slow lorries in right, warp factor nine turbo-nutters in Merc/BM/Audi in left lane. I was neither one nor other of these two classes of traffic, so spent most of the time, playing Frogger - constantly scanning my rear view to see if I had a brief chance to move to left lane to overtake a slow lorry before Mario Andretti suddenly apperared on my bumper filling my mirror. If you do get it wong after moving out and someone appears from nowhere at speed of light on your tail, they will sit there 12 inches from rear bumper as you overtake trying to almost push you to go faster.

The main routes in Italy, were the craziest I've ever driven on. The Italian drivers are very impatient. The back roads are much more civilised.

As for German autobahns, the most stressful motorway driving I've ever done.
The best driving of my life.
Done it several times on motorbike hitting 200mph.
Wonderful stuff.
The main routes in Italy, were the craziest I've ever driven on. The Italian drivers are very impatient. The back roads are much more civilised.
That's where I learnt to drive.
That's why I find english driving very boring and predictable.

Wonderful stuff.

Suppose depends where you're sitting as to your enjoyment.

On a big Kawa Z. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Or in a Scudo van that's well past it's first flush of youth. (n)

Could be worse. First time I went on autobahn was in 1995 in a hired Skoda Favorit. Completely gutless.

Sponsored Links
My best friend is Iti and keeps trying to take me over when he visits family there. One country I have no desire to visit. You've just given me another reason.
Everyday is a track day in Italy, all for free.
There is much more to Italy, than the crazy driving - wonderful country, lots to see.
The driving is the best part.
All the rest is ok in between races.

Was following some snail of a driver this morning. When he got to the end of the road where it joins the A127, instead of taking the filter lane and joining the A road, he suddenly stopped dead as if he'd come to a T junction, I slammed on and so did others behind me. He sat there until there were no cars coming and then pulled out. I didn’t like to give him any abuse because it was a NHS vehicle but whoever let that pillock loose in an electric Mustang wants their brains checking!

IMG_1332.jpeg

Was following some snail of a driver this morning. When he got to the end of the road where it joins the A127, instead of taking the filter lane and joining the A road, he suddenly stopped dead as if he'd come to a T junction, I slammed on and so did others behind me. He sat there until there were no cars coming and then pulled out. I didn’t like to give him any abuse because it was a NHS vehicle but whoever let that pillock loose in an electric Mustang wants their brains checking!
There is a Filter lane on at the end of the Road through Britwell onto the A14 near to Felixstowe - I've seen the exact copy of that dangerous action a couple of times there over the years. Sometimes it is made worse when idiots on the A14 think the acceleration lane is a lay-by.

Someone has put word around that the whole of London is a 20mph zone.
I see drivers on A roads doing 20 with limits of 40, 50, 60 or 70.
99% of the cases are electric boxes.
A couple of days ago a lorry had to swerve onto the fast lane because a prius joined from the acceleration lane but never accelerated past 20mph.
Fortunately I have developed a premonition skill and when I see EV I immediately start thinking about their next wrong move and back away.
They should get their licence revoked for good.

Saw a belter in Lichfield, t'other Saturday afternoon.

Set of normal traffic lights; cross-shaped junction.

"Their" lights go green, so person turning right proceeds: all well and good.

Except, upon seeing the red lights on the road into which they were turning - as they had to be, for "their" lights to go green - they slammed the brakes on, and just sat there.

They must be giving licences out in cereal boxes..............

Wonderful stuff.

That's where I learnt to drive.
That's why I find english driving very boring and predictable.
I have to agree.

I find German autobahn discipline very good (occasional issues, but not often)

Italy, the total opposite

Sponsored Links
Back